What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Execute program notification from remote probe

Votes:

I would like to be able to execute program notifications on my remote probe server rather than on the master server. I have configured custom scripts that reboot servers and restart services and they work on servers local to the master server but not on servers monitored by the remote probe.

Our remote probe is located behind a firewall and on a seperate domain to our master server so I need to execute the programs locally to the remote probe.

Is this possible?

execute-program firewall notifications remote-probe

Created on Sep 28, 2010 9:11:54 AM

12 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid triggering program notifications via the probe is not possible. This request is, however, already on our customer wish list for future implementation.

Created on Sep 28, 2010 12:54:49 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. Can I suggest that this would be a nice enhancement for a future addition.

With IT security becoming increasely important the ability to allow local execution of programs would be a good feature reducing the amount of firewall holes required for full functionaity.

Created on Sep 28, 2010 12:55:13 PM

Votes:

Patrick Hutter's reply is from 2010. Has anything change since then? I'm still under the impression that we can still only select stuff to run from the core Probe's notification\exe folder.

I have a Windows server in a DMZ which is so heavily locked down and isolated, that i had to install a remote probe on it. This gave me "eyes and ears" on that server (forget about anything smelling like WMI, RCP or tricks with psexec etc. it will NOT work). So i really need to be able to launch a program from the remote probe's own local drive. Again, anything "network" will NOT work and the only thing that would work is to run a batch file purely locally on the remote probe.

Is this possible in the current release v15.4.20.4775 (at the time of writing) ?

Created on Nov 15, 2015 9:27:07 PM

Votes:

Hello Steven,

There have been no changes regarding these "basic principles" in PRTG. Probes still do pretty much nothing more than executing sensor queries, while the whole "processing logic" on how to (re)act, is the part of the Core Server. So in this case there are pretty much no options on how the Core Server could trigger executing a file located on the server in questions. Maybe you could find a solution to catch the "incident" locally through a Task that performs the desired action.
Kind regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 2:47:24 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any change with this?

Created on Mar 21, 2017 3:10:34 PM

Votes:

Hello Gixxed_Spyder,

Nothing new to report here I'm afraid, it's still on our backlog list.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 22, 2017 9:24:23 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 on this request If i could use a method of having the notification action from the probe, this would be great Even if the EXECUTE HTTP ACTION was supported from the probe, that would be a good start and very useful.

Created on Apr 10, 2017 6:56:06 PM

Votes:

+1 on this request. It would be very usesful for us also, where we have multiple remote probes on other locations.

Created on Nov 10, 2017 10:39:06 AM

Votes:

I would really appreciate this functionality as well. Just recently adding more automation and triggering the notification program from the probe is way more useful. Thanks!

Created on Feb 27, 2018 2:48:49 AM

Votes:

Thank you, Chris. It is still on development's "backlog list", which means it is considered to be done one day, but due to other priority tasks, there is currently no conrete ETA on when this will be implemented.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 27, 2018 8:39:44 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

10 years since first request. Perhaps its time to get this up on the table?

Created on Jan 14, 2020 12:03:19 PM

Votes:

+1 for this request. It's crucial for the matter of IT-Security to run Scripts, with Credentials in it, from a Monitoring Device which is not a Webserver in a DMZ.

Created on Mar 5, 2021 9:54:48 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.