What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I use the Location field and how do I disable the Geo Maps feature?

Votes:

The new Google Maps feature is nice, BUT... you are using the existing location field, which we used to enter the location of the device in our server room, e.g: Server Room 1, Rack 15, HE 6-9 which gives only nonsense with google maps. I would have preferred that there is a second field for geographic location. Btw, how could you disable the google maps feature, as we have only one location here in Germany ?

google maps prtg

Created on Oct 5, 2010 2:33:58 PM

Last change on Oct 15, 2010 2:25:41 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The location field is intended for geographic information. We would suggest to place information e.g. Server Room, Rack number and so on into the comments field. The advantage of this would be that there is a placeholder available for the comments field that you can use for example in your notifications.

Note: Only the first line of the Location field is used for Geo Maps. To not use this line, simply enter a minus (-) sign there.

In addition to this the Google Maps feature can be disabled in Setup | System Administration | System&Website in the Geo Maps section.

Created on Oct 6, 2010 7:45:53 AM by  Tobias Lange [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 15, 2010 2:24:21 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

In the "Geo Maps" I only can choose between Road Map, Satellite, Terrain and Hybrid, but I cant disable it...

Correction: I only cant see the option "Do not show maps" when using my favorite browser Opera. Using IE I see this option.

Created on Oct 13, 2010 12:15:38 PM

Votes:

Hello

the granularity is limited because the Openstreetview map data in many regions of the world does not provide map tiles on high zoom levels.

But you can set the maximum zoom level by creating/editing the file

<PRTG INSTALLATION PATH>/webroot/javascript/scripts_custom.js

adding following line

_Prtg.Options.geomapZoomLevels=18; to the maximum level possible.

Created on Jul 18, 2013 12:01:08 PM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How to remove Geo Map from the Overview?

Created on Jun 26, 2015 2:34:22 PM

Votes:

You find the relevant information in the manuals here https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/system_website_settings.htm#geo-maps

Created on Jun 30, 2015 9:15:50 AM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.