What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring a file with a changing name

Votes:

Everyday we get some copies of the production database for our development environment. The name of the copy is the type of backup + timestamp. (example: PRD_backup_201010042130.DBB) This means that the name of the file is/should be changing every day. Because the backup copy action sometimes fails, I would like to monitor the file, so I can sent an alarm notification to the dba if the copy fails and it would be nice to collect some statistics to see how often it goes wrong. The problem is that I don't know how to monitor a file with a changing name. Is it possible to use wildcards in some way? Is there a custom sensor that allows me to monitor files with changing names or could someone help me with a wmi script if that is even possible?

Thanks in advance!

backup-file changing-name file file-monitoring file-sensor

Created on Oct 6, 2010 9:13:48 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hallo,

create a folder sensor that monitors the folder the file goes into.

Mack the channel Newest File your primary channel.

go to channels and enable limits for that channel and edit the limits in that way that it is an error if the newest file is older than one day.

Or let the sensor enter a warning state after one day and an error state after 1,5 days

Then go to the notifications tab and your state triggers.

Created on Oct 6, 2010 10:57:17 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.