What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I import devices from file (csv, txt, etc.) to PRTG?

Votes:

how-to import devices ftom file (csv, txt etc.) to PRTG? I have more than 500 devices in list txt files (name ip) and how add auto-discovery group from txt? (i have file: description-host min-host max)

My network is class B

file import prtg

Created on Oct 7, 2010 2:47:40 AM

Last change on Oct 15, 2010 2:19:40 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Although there is the option to simply copy the entire IP column from the CSV and create a new auto discovery group. Use List of individual IPs and DNS Names as the IP Selection Method. Paste the IP list there (one IP per line) and change the settings for the sensor management to your likings. The names should then be automatically discovered via DNS/WMI/SNMP per default.

Sorry, I hadn't thougt about that one :)

Created on Aug 26, 2014 1:01:12 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 26, 2014 1:01:42 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid such an import is not possible. Please use the Auto-Discovery in steps with each one Class-C-Net.

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 7, 2010 12:19:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is the above still valid ? I have to add/import ca. 150 devices and they are distributed or spread over a Class-A-net. So doing a autodiscover doesn't make any sense. So is there a possibility to import devices - at least with IP-address and hostname ? Many thanks and best regards.

Created on Aug 25, 2014 12:44:04 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid that CSV import is not available in PRTG. Sorry!

Created on Aug 25, 2014 12:50:49 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 25, 2014 12:51:07 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Although there is the option to simply copy the entire IP column from the CSV and create a new auto discovery group. Use List of individual IPs and DNS Names as the IP Selection Method. Paste the IP list there (one IP per line) and change the settings for the sensor management to your likings. The names should then be automatically discovered via DNS/WMI/SNMP per default.

Sorry, I hadn't thougt about that one :)

Created on Aug 26, 2014 1:01:12 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 26, 2014 1:01:42 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there
I have a list that contains some "device name"s and their "IP"s and wanna import them all at once for monitoring their ping only.
So i created an Auto-Discovery Group and configure it as below:

• Automatic sensor creation using "Generic Device (PING only)" device template
  • List of individual IPs and DNS names (IPv4) (and imported all the DNS names and IPs in server's hosts file and wrote down the DNS names in the "list box" here, also tried with IPs list)
  • Name resolution: i tried both (IP or DNS name)
  • Device Rescan: i tried both (skip or perform)

And the result was that: the "Device Name" and the "IPv4 Address/DNS Name" in the device setting are the same. I mean depending on the above settings, both of them show IP or DNS Name.

But i want have an Auto-Discovery that results in Devices that showing device name in "Device Name" box and IP address in "IPv4 Address/DNS Name" box. Is it possible?

Created on Apr 29, 2020 4:36:29 AM

Last change on Apr 29, 2020 12:02:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply on this one. You may want to check out PRTGapi, as it allows for programmatic creation of objects within PRTG. Using it, you could do something like this in an administrative PowerShell :

# setup PRTG api
Install-Module prtgapi
Import-Module prtgapi
# connect to your server
Connect-PRTGServer -Server "fqdn of the server" -IgnoreSSL
# enter credentials
$devices = (Get-Content C:\devices.csv | ConvertFrom-CSV -Delimiter ";")
# enter the ID of the probe where you'd like to add the device, default is local probe
$probe = (Get-Probe -Id 1)
# add the devices from your csv file to PRTG 
$devices | % { $probe | Add-Device -Probe $probe -Name $_.Name -host $_.Address -Template "Generic Device (Ping only)" -AutoDiscover }

Make sure to configure the delimiter accordingly, if you're not using ;. The code assumes that your CSV looks like this:

NameAddress
My Server192.168.2.1

Created on Apr 29, 2020 6:29:55 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephen,

I was looking for a similar solution using a script. I have tried using yours but unable to get the desired results. I have formatted my data according to sample CSV but when I run the script I get this error. Can you kindly help as what I am doing wrong.

Add-Device : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Probe'. At C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\AddServers_example\AddServers.ps1:8 char:36 + $devices | % { $probe | Add-Device -Probe $probe -Name $_.Name -host ... + ~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Add-Device], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,PrtgAPI.PowerShell.Cmdlets.AddDevice

Created on Jun 29, 2021 7:07:32 AM

Votes:

PRTGapi that Stephan mentioned is actually a third party program that is not developed by us. I would recommend that you check it's GitHub page for more information about it.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 30, 2021 8:00:13 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.