What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Login failed for user in MS SQL sensor (user really have rights...)

Votes:

Hello,

I got the error "Login failed for user COMPUTERNAME\Administrateur" when I try to monitor Microsoft SQL.

The account is in local administrators group and work fine with WMI monitoring.

If I connect (from the computer which have the PRTG service installed) with Microsoft SQL Management Studio, I can connect successful with the credentials provided in PRTG (COMPUTERNAME\Administrateur), with the TCIP/IP protocol and the default port. When I log into the SQL server I have all rights (sysadmin)...

The question is why PRTG show this error? What I do wrong?

We're trying the version 8.1.0.1627.

Thank you !

Johan

login-failed ms-sql mssql prtg sql sysadmin

Created on Oct 7, 2010 6:15:48 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Johan,

under which user account is the PRTG Probe Service running? Is the the default account "LOCAL SYSTEM"? If so please try another account which has the proper permissions to connect to the target SQL-Server.

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 11, 2010 11:32:59 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Yes it was LOCAL SYSTEM. But if I change this value and put an account on domain which have full rights on the database the error is exactly the same...

Best regards.

Created on Oct 11, 2010 12:06:05 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.