What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I monitor Virtual Machines that move between ESX hosts?

Votes:

DRS is automatically moving VMs between ESX hosts in our cluster. How can I monitor these?

drs esx prtg sensor virtual-servers vm

Created on Feb 16, 2010 8:23:36 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 17, 2010 9:14:19 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You need a VMWare Virtual Center server to do this. Instead of adding the VM sensors to the ESX host server device, create a device for your Virtual Center Server and create the VM sensors for that device.

Created on Feb 16, 2010 8:26:20 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 17, 2010 4:39:01 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Could you please explain more in details, I tried add device for VCenter and add VMs sensors, but unsuccessfully.

Created on Oct 25, 2010 9:25:20 AM

Votes:

Create the Virtual Center server as a device.

in the settings edit the credentials for VMware servers and use the logon credentials you use in your vSphere Client to log on to the vCenter Server.

Now select add sensors -> Virtual Servers -> VMware Virtual Machine

you should get a list of all the available virtual machines

Created on Oct 25, 2010 9:44:44 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We're monitoring our guests in this manner, but we have an issue with it. Whenever we set our scanning interval lower than five minutes, many of the guest sensors stay in unknown status. This devalues the sensors since a five minute scanning interval is neither good for alerting promptly if a server goes down not is it good for tracking historical data. Any idea what we can do to get a lower scanning interval to work consistently?

Created on Nov 23, 2010 7:52:38 PM

Votes:

how many VMs are you running?

You simply can not send too many requests to the VMware SOAP API at the same time.

The requests are processed serial, not parallel.

Created on Nov 23, 2010 9:09:15 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there a similar solution von VMs on Hyper-V (without SCVMM)? I have a smaller customer with two Hyper-V 2012 Servers and moving VMs between them results in Errors in PRTG.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 1:22:19 PM

Votes:

no, sorry, this does nor work without an scvmm.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 2:20:55 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.