What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Who to monitor the traffic of a Win7-machine via SNMP

Votes:

Monitoring the traffic of WinXP-machines is working. But on Win7-machines not. SNMP services are activated an UDP-Port 161 and 162 are open?

What could be my problem, what can I do?

regards

ports snmp traffic-grapher windows

Created on Oct 9, 2010 1:51:23 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

you can change the community string in the device settings in PRTG so any community string can be used.

The manual would have told you that in no time!

Created on Oct 10, 2010 4:34:43 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

please check the access rights in the SNMP service.

Is your win7 PC accepting SNMP requests from any IP?

Created on Oct 9, 2010 7:06:09 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, I´ve found a reason of my problem, but not a complete solution.

The "client" has to accept the community of the server. The "client" has to accept recieving SNMP-pakets of the PTRG-server, therefor the IP must be accepted.

But in Win7 is the standard community "public". I would like to have habe another name. As client it´s no problem to accept other names. But I can´t find an option to change the comunity name of the prtg-server-machine.

Now I can recieve SNMP information from XP and Win7 as well. But only by using the public community.

regards

Created on Oct 9, 2010 7:43:11 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

you can change the community string in the device settings in PRTG so any community string can be used.

The manual would have told you that in no time!

Created on Oct 10, 2010 4:34:43 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks a lot. Im a man, I don´t need a manual ;-)

I think my boss has to buy this tool after the 30day trial.

Created on Oct 11, 2010 1:37:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.