What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a sensor that shows the ip address of the remote computer

Votes:

I am looking to see what the ISP-assigned IP address of the remote computer that is running PRTG Network Monitor. I see the local network IP address assigned by the local router as reported by Network Monitor, but I am looking to discover what the public IP address is. Is there a sensor that would show this?

dchp ip-address sensor

Created on Jun 13, 2011 7:49:25 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I fitted Peters idea into a new custom sensor and added a few extra's:

PTF.ExternalIP

This sensor gets the ISP-assigned IP address of the Probe.

• If the IP has changed since the last scan, the sensor goes into a warning state.
  • Proxy settings are automatically taken form your IE settings

Note: The IP address is obtained using www.whatismyip.com Their rules of engagement state that any automated process must not hit their site more than once every five minutes. So the scanning interval of this sensor must be set to five minutes or higher.

The sensor can be downloaded from this page

Created on Jun 20, 2011 11:00:07 AM

Last change on Aug 29, 2016 2:58:42 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you can do that yourself by writing a batch-script or maybe Visual Basic, which parses the result of the 'ipconfig'-command, and then returns the IP to PRTG as the message part of the sensor result.

best regards.

Created on Jun 14, 2011 11:36:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

a little help:

Get_Public_IP.ps1

#Please read the rulez here http://www.whatismyip.com/faq/automation.asp
$webrequest = [System.Net.WebRequest]::Create("http://automation.whatismyip.com/n09230945.asp")
$webresponse = $webrequest.GetResponse()
$requeststream = $webresponse.GetResponseStream()
$stream = new-object System.IO.StreamReader $requeststream 
$result = [string]$stream.ReadToEnd()+":OK"
write-host $result

Created on Jun 14, 2011 7:34:15 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I fitted Peters idea into a new custom sensor and added a few extra's:

PTF.ExternalIP

This sensor gets the ISP-assigned IP address of the Probe.

• If the IP has changed since the last scan, the sensor goes into a warning state.
  • Proxy settings are automatically taken form your IE settings

Note: The IP address is obtained using www.whatismyip.com Their rules of engagement state that any automated process must not hit their site more than once every five minutes. So the scanning interval of this sensor must be set to five minutes or higher.

The sensor can be downloaded from this page

Created on Jun 20, 2011 11:00:07 AM

Last change on Aug 29, 2016 2:58:42 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Use this website to show both internal and public IP address of your computer. http://whatismylocalip.com

you can read also some facts inside the site.

Created on Feb 15, 2015 5:12:07 AM

Votes:

The log will show the public ip address of the remote probe when it connects.

Created on Jul 18, 2017 11:14:14 PM

Votes:

Hi All,

Is this ExternalIP.exe sensor still working?

I am just getting this error instead of the returned IP address.

XML: The returned XML does not match the expected schema. (code: PE233) -- JSON: The returned JSON does not match the expected structure (Invalid JSON.). (code: PE231)

Thanks

Created on Mar 4, 2021 3:20:42 PM

Last change on Mar 4, 2021 5:58:28 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

All Solved, I was using the EXEXML folder to store the ExternalIp.exe, it just needs to go into the EXE folder and Set placeholders as environment values needs to be set in the sensor settings

Created on Mar 4, 2021 6:30:04 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.