What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor without alarms?

Votes:

I would like to monitor non critical devices like printers (i.e. page count) en PC's. However since they are often switched off, I would like to avoid receiving a warning. Is that possible?

alarms notifications printer prtg snmp wishlist

Created on Mar 14, 2010 6:07:14 PM

Last change on Mar 15, 2010 11:34:50 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Create separate groups for these sensors

If you use only one probe you could create two sub-groups directly underneath the "Root" group, called "Notification" and "No Notification".

• Place all devices that you do not want to show up in the Windows GUI in the "No Notification" group.
  • Place all other devices in the "Notification" group.
  • Setup the Windows GUI to only show devices from the "Notification" group and down.

If you are using more than one probe this wil not work.

I could however, providing there is enough interest for this, add a filter setting to the TrayNotifier to filter out selected devices. The TrayNotifier will in that case not show any down, error or paused state for these selected devices.

If you think this would be a useful feature, please upvote this answer.

Created on Mar 17, 2010 8:01:26 PM

Last change on May 31, 2012 11:37:22 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

6 Replies

Votes:

You can turn off notifications for those devices individually or by group.

Either do it for each device individually, or put all those devices in one group e.g. "Printers". When using groups, turn off or change notifications for the group to your needs and then let the devices inherit notification settings from the group.

As an alternative, you could add a schedule to the group that would stop monitoring between a certain time span.

Created on Mar 15, 2010 6:39:33 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 16, 2010 8:24:25 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

So, I have the same problem. Please, see question How create/customize statistical PING sensor? There is some discussion on this topic.

Resumé from that question and current possible solutions:

• Turn off any notifications, but sensor (e.g. PING) will go to down state when device if switched off and will notify in PRTG Windows GUI
  • Use custom PingWarning sensor, but it's not possible to make info sensors (page count and other) that depend on this one

Created on Mar 15, 2010 9:25:57 AM

Last change on Mar 15, 2010 11:23:59 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

If you turn off all notifications you will not receive any, but of course if the device is turned off, the ping sensor will go into an error state.

PRTG cannot know if the device is turned off on purpose or if it is a real error. We are aware of the issue with devices being turned of on purpose, and we will try to come up with a solution.

For now, you could add a schedule to the group that would stop monitoring between e.g. 6 pm to 8 am.

Created on Mar 15, 2010 9:53:04 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 17, 2010 9:29:45 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Perhaps in a new release the user can select if a sensor failure will cause an Error or just a Warning or an Unusual? That would at least satisfy our needs!

Perhaps even an additional category: No Action Needed.

Now there are to many Errors for the Service Desk to look at and thus they probably loose focus on the real Error that occur.

The schedule doens't satisfy our needs so far. You will for example miss Pages printed is the device remains on beyond the schedule.

Created on Mar 16, 2010 10:47:32 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Create separate groups for these sensors

If you use only one probe you could create two sub-groups directly underneath the "Root" group, called "Notification" and "No Notification".

• Place all devices that you do not want to show up in the Windows GUI in the "No Notification" group.
  • Place all other devices in the "Notification" group.
  • Setup the Windows GUI to only show devices from the "Notification" group and down.

If you are using more than one probe this wil not work.

I could however, providing there is enough interest for this, add a filter setting to the TrayNotifier to filter out selected devices. The TrayNotifier will in that case not show any down, error or paused state for these selected devices.

If you think this would be a useful feature, please upvote this answer.

Created on Mar 17, 2010 8:01:26 PM

Last change on May 31, 2012 11:37:22 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

"I could however, providing there is enough interest for this, add a filter setting to the TrayNotifier to filter out selected devices. The TrayNotifier will in that case not show any down, error or paused state for these selected devices.

If you think this would be a useful feature, please upvote this answer."

--> I think this would be a very usefull feuture! Even a must have feauture!

Created on Mar 24, 2014 7:16:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.