What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor IBM AS 400?

Votes:

Is it possible to monitor an IBM AS 400 with PRTG?

as400 ibm monitoring prtg

Created on Mar 25, 2010 3:23:23 PM

Last change on Mar 26, 2010 8:35:58 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We monitor several AS400s using SNMP. The standard OID library will recognize most sensors after SNMP is setup correctly on the AS400. Setup of SNMP on the AS400 was done by an AS400 expert, so I cannot provide details on how that is done.

Created on Mar 25, 2010 8:26:26 PM

Last change on Mar 26, 2010 8:32:06 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

9 Replies

Votes:

Dear Tobias,

This depends whether the physical device supports monitoring protocols that PRTG supports. Most common are SNMP, Netflow or WMI. PRTG is also able to monitor various types of servers (Webserver, FTP, DNS, SQL etc), but for actual hardware it would be necessary for the device to support one of the three mentioned "protocols" to be monitored by PRTG. You can test all three ways with one of our freeware networking tools (https://www.paessler.com/tools): SNMP Tester, WMI Tester and the Netflow Tester.

Best Regards

Created on Mar 25, 2010 4:49:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We monitor several AS400s using SNMP. The standard OID library will recognize most sensors after SNMP is setup correctly on the AS400. Setup of SNMP on the AS400 was done by an AS400 expert, so I cannot provide details on how that is done.

Created on Mar 25, 2010 8:26:26 PM

Last change on Mar 26, 2010 8:32:06 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hello Patrick,

You say "The standard OID library will recognize most sensors". Which standard library are you referring to?

Cheers Erik

Created on Oct 5, 2018 8:15:52 AM

Votes:

Hi, can I monitor the configuration of ntp with PRTG?

Created on Sep 17, 2019 2:52:37 PM

Votes:

Yes. you can. If you want an help or looking an example of monitoring write me an email claudio.verniani[at]gmail.com

Created on Jan 14, 2022 1:22:31 PM

Last change on Jan 14, 2022 3:12:37 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

is there a way to monitor IBM i events (from QSYSOPR, QHST, QAUDJRN etc.)? We´re already using snmp-sensors for monitoring the ibmi/AS400-Systems, but we have no option to generate alarms from log entrys.

Best regards Dennis

Created on May 10, 2022 7:36:50 AM

Votes:

Hello Dennis,
We recently announced our new Uptime Alliance Partner m81, their solution might be the right choice for your needs.

How it works is described in our blog at https://blog.paessler.com/monitor-an-ibm-i-os/400-server-as-easily-as-any-other-server

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on May 12, 2022 6:54:19 AM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Johannes,

that are great news, thank you! I cannot find any prices for the software. That would be a useful information for the article.

Best regards Dennis

Created on May 16, 2022 9:02:35 AM

Votes:

Hello Dennis,
As the software isn't sold by us we have no influence on the pricing.
For pricing information please contact m81 directly.

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on May 19, 2022 1:39:06 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.