What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

file content sensor

Votes:

I'm trying to use the file contect sensor to monitor file content on a network mapped drive, ie L:\shareddrive\filename.txt, the mapped drive is from a samba mount on a linux box. the error that I'm receiving is: Cannot access file: The system cannot find the path specified(3) (code: PE031). thanks, John

file-content-sensor file-monitoring prtg-sensor

Created on Feb 2, 2012 10:40:24 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear John,

please check the file-and folder permissions. Please also try running the PRTG Probe Service under an (domain) admin account, that may help.

best regards.

Created on Feb 3, 2012 2:43:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi John,

Please keep in mind that mapped network drives are specific to the user account that created them. In other words, logging in to you PRTG server as user xx the mapped drive might exist, but for the PRTG probe service running under a different user account (by default local system) it does not!

Regards,

Created on Feb 4, 2012 4:22:14 PM

Votes:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to check file content on a linux box with a samba share. Any ideas? thanks, John

Created on Feb 7, 2012 10:19:44 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.