What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Inheriting multiple notification types

Votes:

I have various categorized in many groups. Is it possible to create a single inheritable ping sensor that can:

• State trigger on hard down event
  • Threshold trigger on excessive packet loss
  • Threshold trigger on excessive latency

Much thanks in advance,

Scott Vander Dussen

group inherit prtg sensor trigger

Created on Apr 21, 2010 4:37:21 AM

Last change on Apr 21, 2010 7:48:48 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Theoretically, you could add the notification triggers to an overlying group (or even the root object) and have these notifications inherited, so that they would be triggered by all underlying sensors. This would mean, however, that you would have to turn off the inheritance of all sensors that are NOT supposed to use these triggers (e.g. all but the desired PING sensors).

As such, you would need to check which option would be more efficient: having the triggers being inherited while also unchecking the inheritance of all sensors that are not supposed to trigger these notifications or you defining the triggers for each PING sensor individually.

Notifications cannot, however, be defined by templates or other automated scanning options, nor can they be applied to any specific sensor types (except as outlined above).

Created on Apr 21, 2010 1:58:00 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad to hear this is possible, nearly every sensor requires these triggers. How can I add the two threshold trigger notifications for latency and packet loss?

When I add now, I only have two options for the channel, Primary and Sum. I only see the correct channels listed when I have the PING sensor added, which I cannot add to the Root group. Thanks again.

Created on Apr 21, 2010 3:55:50 PM

Votes:

Has anyone answered this question yet ???

Created on May 13, 2021 7:44:17 PM

Votes:

Hello Jon,

Regarding the question from Scott, it is not possible to select a specific channel in a notification trigger configured at the group level. This has to be done on the sensor level.

To automate the creation of threshold trigger, you can use the PowerShell module called PRTGAPI, however please notice that we do not provide support for it as it relies on "raw" HTTP requests, notifications triggers not being customizable by the API of PRTG.

Here is the GitHub page of the module: https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI You will find the documentation regarding the notification triggers right here: https://github.com/lordmilko/PrtgAPI/wiki/Notification-Triggers

Regards.

Created on May 14, 2021 7:38:11 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.