What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Probe GID deletion for creating a system image for distribution

Votes:

Hello,

I want to create a system image so that I can simply distribute the same system to mulitiple, like more than 100, machines. After applying the image, PRTG probes should have different GID in order to monitor them. How can I configure the PRTG probe in a base machine? If I edit the GID to make it empty and stop all PRTG-related services, can I assume that later the imaged machines will have a different GID after reboot?

gid probe prtg system-image

Created on Oct 10, 2012 2:21:25 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the GID is created by a Windows-API call that should produce a world-wide unique ID, so deleting this, will cause the Probe Service to request a new GID and tell this to the according PRTG Core Server. However, please also delete the "ID"-DWORD in the probe's registry key, otherwise a new probe will connect (with a new GID though) under the old OBJECT ID (in PRTG) of the old probe.

best regards

Created on Oct 10, 2012 4:01:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.