What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Running out of diskspace, what can I do?

Votes:

Hello,

I have installed Traffic Grapher on a PC and there are about 36 GB of data under "Documents and Settings" and Diskspace is very low. Am i able to archive old data or is ist possible to delete data that is older than one year?

Thank you and best regards, Frank Grote

archive grapher space traffic

Created on May 27, 2010 6:41:01 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Our recomendation would be to use the automatic purging function under Extras -> Options -> System. You can define different purging time spans for data and for events.

You can of course also delete unnecessary data directories manually.

Created on May 27, 2010 11:20:39 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hi,

I also encounter diskspace issues. With the last version (13), what solutions could I have for reducing the huge quantity of data produce by PRTG ?

BTW, I haven't succeed to find how to go on menus Extras -> Options -> System

Thanks in advance,

Created on Aug 22, 2013 9:05:38 AM

Votes:

Hello,

the steps mentioned above by Patrick are referring to PRTG 6, not 13. You can change the Data Purging Limits on the "System & Website"-Settings Page (https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/system_website_settings.htm) in PRTG. The Historic Sensor data, which probably takes the most disk space is set to 365 days by default.

If you want to check PRTG's datafolder, to see which type of data takes most space, please have a look at the following article explaining the details: https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data

Also, enabling the NTFS-Compression usually helps a lot on the PRTG datafolder, but sometimes has slight performance impacts. It's impossible to predict the impact, this is basically a matter to try out by the user.

Created on Aug 22, 2013 3:41:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, I found how to reduce the data retention settings in "System & Website" menu. At the moment, my infrastructure could not support if I compressed data, we are currently "walking on the red line". It could be great if PRTG use a Round-Robin Database as Nagios do, is it in project ?

Bye,

Created on Aug 29, 2013 3:03:46 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.