What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feature Request - Better Disk Threshold Settings

Votes:

Hi

I would like the way prtg handles thresholds reviewed / re done. The current implementation is sort of illogical

I would assume generic settings get set and then more specific settings are applied.

Eg. We have a server with 26 harddisks configured. I then run an autodiscovery and get a multi disk sensor configured monitoring all the disks. I then set a "global" (local to sensor) set of thresholds. I then need a specific disk / set of disk to have a more precise set of thresholds etc set.

At present i need to either create a sensor per disk (and remeber when new disks are added to add a new sensor) or remove the "global" thresholds and set individual ones per channel. Both workarounds lead to excessive amounts of work and are extremely tedious.

This would be a great win for usability

Thanks

multidisk thresholds usability

Created on Jan 7, 2014 3:11:10 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

At the moment, we have not had enough customers requesting this but if this topic is voted up enough by other customers, this is something we would consider.

Created on Jan 8, 2014 10:13:27 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I agree with this suggestion -- it causes us problems as well. My temporary workaround has had to be to completly disable that one channel on the sensor.

I would also like to be able to set global default values for channel alarm values, for new or existing sensors. Some of the default alarm values are really not what we would like to see.

Created on Jan 8, 2014 7:02:53 PM

Votes:

Hi

We are also having the problem with the default sensor values, I would like to see something under the Setup section where you could define your organizations defaults.

IE Setup -> Sensors -> CPU -> thresholds

these would then apply to any no "manually" configured sensors

Thanks

Created on Jan 9, 2014 10:11:03 AM

Votes:

Hi,

I would get excited about sth. a solution like the one ryhse suggested.

Regards

Created on Feb 20, 2014 6:57:59 PM

Votes:

I'd love this feature. I hadn't thought of Ken's solution. That makes it a little earlier, but it's still not ideal. -Steve

Created on Jul 30, 2014 6:09:27 PM

Votes:

It looks like the "voting" method is the only way to get features considered. We too would like to see the WMI sensors or SSH Disk Free sensors.

My example would be around database servers. If I have multiple disks or partitions on that server, I would like to monitor the global policy with the ability to provide changes to individual sensors beyond the scope.

So say I have the 20% Warning/10% Error as my limits, but I want my /dbswapfile or E: drive to be a limit of the 10% Warning 2% Error or anything other than that. I would like to be able to override just that single channel.

My Suggestion: Add a global feature that enables individual channels to override the sensor settings itself. This should be a check mark or an On and Off radial that can be located in Sensor > Settings under "Set Limits Checked Against All Disks"

This would enable the individual channels to override the global feature if 1. that global setting is enabled and 2. the enable limits radial with settings is set in the channel itself.

Created on Apr 13, 2017 6:29:04 PM

Votes:

Dear Patrick,

Thank you very much for your contribution. I understand that it might be frustrating that features are not implemented right away, however please understand that such changes would take a lot of development time besides a sensor and/or partial PRTG re-write for the implementation.

Even if I can't guarantee that we implement this feature in the next time, be assured that we see and note your request.
For the sake of completeness, please allow me to link the related article how we handle feature requests at Paessler.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 17, 2017 12:37:06 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I too would like to see that channel limits for the SSH Disk sensor override the one for the sensor itself. I can't imagine why it wasn't done this way to begin with as it's the only way the channel sensors are of use and then only if you set the sensor to ONLY use the channel limits. And by using it, it forces you to set limits individually for all channels or risk it not triggering a state change.

Created on Nov 16, 2017 5:29:29 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.