What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I import my MIB files into PRTG?

Votes:

I want to load MIB files from a device into PRTG. What steps are necessary to convert or import these files into the correct oidlib format to use it for device setup in PRTG?

converter import mib oid oidlib prtg software

Created on Feb 9, 2010 4:16:07 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 2:49:20 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22 and MIB Importer 3

Using MIB Importer

You can use MIB Importer to convert MIB files to .oidlib files, the Paessler format that PRTG uses for MIBs, and to import them into PRTG.

Benefits

• By providing MIBs, you give PRTG the possibility to access available monitoring objects. With MIBs in oidlib format, PRTG is able to automatically scan a device for available sensors and create suitable sensors and channels.
  • You can either start an auto-discovery to make PRTG scan your devices and automatically create sensors, or add an SNMP Library sensor and use the new .oidlib file.

BRIDGE MIB
Click to enlarge.

Example with instructions

You can find an example step-by-step instruction for the import of MIB files using MIB Importer in Step 3: Import the MIB file to PRTG.

Download and user manual

To download MIB Importer and to get more instructions and the manual, see our website: MIB Importer

Having trouble with the import?

Note: When importing an MIB file you might notice a message stating that OIDs were found successfully, yet none of them were useful for PRTG. In such cases, the MIB file does not include any counter information that can be used with PRTG. This can be the case if the MIB file only contains SNMP traps, double-index OIDs, or other counters that cannot be processed by SNMP sensors.

If possible, try another MIB file. For details, see section 5. Troubleshooting in the MIB Importer Manual.

Note: SNMP tables are supported as of MIB Importer v3.5.3.

More

Created on Feb 9, 2010 4:17:07 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 2:50:15 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Perfect!

Created on Apr 1, 2010 4:32:51 PM

Votes:

Hi. Is ther is a way to import a MIB to my.prtg.com environment.

Thank you

Created on Jan 22, 2020 5:37:42 PM

Votes:

Hello Alfredo,

Currently it's not possible to import your own MIB files, lookups etc. as with the on-premise version of PRTG. The issue is that the relevant folder is located in PRTG's installation path instead of the data-path.

Sure, we could upload your MIB files, custom lookups and alike manually, but here's the culprit: When your hosted PRTG instance receives an update, those manual changes will be lost. That's because when hosted PRTG instances are being updated, your data partition will be mounted to a new instance that has the new PRTG version already running, while every customisation to the program folder is gone then, since it's a new machine you have from then on.

See also here an overview of current differences between PRTG on premise and in the cloud.

We're planning on introducing a a way to upload and keep such files later this year for hosted PRTG instances as well, but I have no fixed release date for it yet.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 23, 2020 6:55:29 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 15, 2021 6:53:52 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

When I import the OID into the Remote Probe Server, I am not able to see the sensor under the PRTG Portal SNMP Library? For me to see the sensor under SNMP Library do I need to import it on the PRTG Server itself?

Created on May 6, 2020 8:15:55 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Please import the mib files with out MIB Importer tool to your core server system.
Afterwards you should see the oidlib file in the creation of your desired sensor.

Created on May 6, 2020 10:28:09 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I'd like to reference this information found in Erhards response: "We're planning on introducing a a way to upload and keep such files later this year for hosted PRTG instances as well, but I have no fixed release date for it yet."

Are there any news on this planned addition, yet?

Regards, Patrick

Created on Aug 16, 2021 1:53:50 PM

Votes:

Hello Patrick,

Yes, if you are using PRTG Hosted, you can now send us your Oidlib files (or other custom files like device-templates and lookup files) to [email protected] and we will upload those files for you!

Created on Aug 17, 2021 6:51:54 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Timo,

Is there something planned in the future, that these uploads can be done by the user himself?

Created on Aug 17, 2021 1:10:38 PM

Votes:

We are already looking into this, however there's no ETA yet due to other priorities. So I'm afraid this will not be implemented in the near future.

Created on Aug 17, 2021 1:40:39 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, do I have to install 'MIB Importer' specifically on the PRTG Core server to import the MIBs file to the Core Server or is it possible to install it in another location? Thank you.

Created on Apr 18, 2023 11:10:03 AM

Votes:

Hello Petr,

Thank you for utilizing PRTG.

Although it is possible to install the MIB importer on a different location, we recommend installing it on your PRTG server if you plan to add your OID Libraries to the PRTG server. This will simplify the process for you.

Kind regards,

Jeremiah Katatumba - Technical Support

Created on Apr 20, 2023 12:42:05 PM by  Jeremiah Katatumba

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.