What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Supressing/not monitoring for for unusually low network traffic

Votes:

"1 hour interval average of 0.02 mbit/s (Traffic in) is unusually low for this hour of the week"

I could care less!!!! On 99% of the things being monitored I don't need to know when the traffic is low in or out. When the users are not using the network (or their computer in most cases) it's because they went to lunch late or didn't come in that day.

How do I turn adjust to continue monitoring for unusually high network traffic without monitoring for low?

alarm low suppress traffic

Created on Mar 23, 2011 5:22:23 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There is a Feature Request Post in the KB for more granular unusual detection settings: [OPEN] Enable/Disable Unusual Detection On Sensor Level
Please make sure to vote for it instead, and we'll close this thread here now.

In order to get alerts when certain bandwidth traffic limits are breached, please use the Enable Limits setting in your sensor's Channels tab (see Sensor Channels Settings). For example, you can set the sensor to Error (i.e. a red Down status) when reaching certain bandwidth values.

In the sensor's Notifications tab you can then trigger a notification in case the sensor goes into a Down state.

Created on Mar 24, 2011 1:36:06 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Apr 22, 2019 6:38:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

24 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid it's not possible to disable the unusual detection only for low values. You can only try adjusting the general 'levels' of the unusual detection under "Setup"->"System & Website"->"Unusual Detection".

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 23, 2011 6:16:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, I could do that but then I would not be notified when there is high traffic which is extremely important!

Created on Mar 23, 2011 6:56:40 PM

Last change on Mar 24, 2011 1:36:30 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There is a Feature Request Post in the KB for more granular unusual detection settings: [OPEN] Enable/Disable Unusual Detection On Sensor Level

In order to get alerts when certain bandwidth traffic limits are breached, please use the Enable Limits setting in your sensor's Channels tab (see Sensor Channels Settings). For example, you can set the sensor to Error (i.e. a red Down status) when reaching certain bandwidth values.

In the sensor's Notifications tab you can then trigger a notification in case the sensor goes into a Down state.

Created on Mar 24, 2011 1:36:06 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Apr 22, 2019 6:38:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would like to add that we too would love to see an ability to disable Unusually Low. Using the Channels tab for notifications is not the same thing and we would like a small modification to the "Unusual" system for high-only settings. It has been the difference of using the Unusual setting or disabling it (which has been very unfortunate).

Created on Nov 22, 2016 6:40:19 AM

Votes:

Hi cdalexander,

Thank you, I can understand the intention behind this request. Had a little chat with a developer and also searched through older tickets about this and the thing is that such a change is not as trivial as it may sound and I'm afraid we had not really that much requests for this feature to justify putting efforts into it I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 22, 2016 4:28:13 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would also agree that there should be a way to control the unusually low and high settings separately, even being able to disable unusually low and/or high. The traffic that I truly care about I setup threshold alerts.

Created on Dec 1, 2016 2:16:39 PM

Votes:

We also would agree that we like to have the possibility to disable low and / or high usage separately. Unusual High is good to know, but we don't need unusal Low Messages. Please include this feature in the next version.

Created on Apr 13, 2018 2:59:37 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the statement from Erhard hasn't changed in the past. The requests for such a feature a just too low compared with the work that we would have to put in to change the behavior. Currently there are no plans to implement further options for the unusual detection.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 16, 2018 10:49:14 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just adding my +1 to this suggestion. At least implement an option to suppress the low bandwidth alerts even if there is no easy way to set a different threshold.

Created on May 16, 2018 12:48:18 PM

Votes:

Me too, would like to get rid of those low stuff.

Created on Jun 7, 2018 2:22:21 PM

Votes:

Another vote for this feature request from me.

Created on Jul 11, 2018 8:09:35 AM

Votes:

This would be a useful feature.

Created on Jul 12, 2018 4:09:27 PM

Votes:

I could really use setting/disabling low and high separately as well. It makes Unusual sensor notices worthless.

Created on Nov 20, 2018 8:40:35 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

For all interested, please upvote the topic (click the thumbs up for the initial question on top) so we can see how much people are eager to get this feature.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 21, 2018 9:53:46 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same here. Very unhappy about not changing the low without the high. Will have to disable all of them.

Created on Nov 29, 2018 10:09:56 PM

Votes:

Another vote to break out "High" and "Low" settings for Unusual

Created on Dec 4, 2018 4:17:59 PM

Votes:

We need this feature, we have 30.000 sensors, and 6 PRTG Core servers, when activate unusual sensors activates a lot unnecessary alerts. Also need an option to disable in each sensor channel. Thank you

Created on Mar 4, 2019 3:00:56 PM

Votes:

+1 vote for this feature. It is extremely annoying.....

Created on Apr 19, 2019 7:38:30 PM

Votes:

Created on Apr 22, 2019 6:39:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 17, 2022 10:16:35 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 vote for this feature. I need my systems to notify me about important matters and this is just increases the risk of missing something that is actually important.

Created on May 16, 2022 11:13:30 AM

Votes:

Created on May 17, 2022 10:16:39 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 to this feature or atleast more options such as 24h average is <50% or >1000% so that it would have to be an extreme low to actually alert. Or maybe make the set up so you can select the % of each instead of full statements.

Created on Jun 10, 2022 12:52:04 PM

Votes:

Any new updates on this?

Created on Aug 22, 2022 7:02:36 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you already voted for the feature request, you can also check our roadmap here: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/roadmap

Created on Aug 24, 2022 12:53:41 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.