What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

[OPEN] Enable/Disable Unusual Detection On Sensor Level

Votes:

Want this feature implemented? Please upvote! Posts in this thread won't be published. Read Me!

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want to be able to disable the unusual detection on a per sensor level.

Details of User Story

At the moment, the device level is the lowest level where the unusual detection can be disabled or enabled. For some sensors, the detection does not make any sense, like the sensor execution time of the Windows Service Sensor. Right now it seems its possible to enable/disable unusual sensor detection either:

• Globally (for all of PRTG)
  • On a device-by-device basis
  • I want to be able to disable the unusual detection on a per Channel

We want/need unusual sensor detection enabled globally, and we want/need it enabled for all devices but we would like to disable it for specific sensors. This would be especially helpful for traffic and Windows Service sensors as they can fluctuate the most. Many sensors result in many different traffic/status levels. Being aware of that, disabling unsual per sensor would reduce the noise.

Another example user story: I would really like to see a reset function of the Unusual Detection function. I still wan't the detection to happen but it should ignore some really old values for the calculation.

My case: We have a SSH script sensor which collects some data that we really want to keep for historical overview. Two months ago we made changes to the script that used to run for about 20.000 msec and now gets the job done in 540 msec. The sensor has been orange for over a month now with the Unusual Detection warning. I've also had the similar experience after a upgrade hardware. You won't want to lose data for growth analysis etc, but you can't rely on the unusual detection for the new hardware anymore.

Acceptance criteria

Unusual Detection can be disabled on a channel, sensor level, additionally to globally and per device

Status

Open

improve-prtg prtg-kbtracker snmp-traffic unusual-detection

Created on Aug 30, 2018 7:56:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 4, 2019 8:00:40 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.