What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Logarithmic scale

Votes:

How i can set Logarithmic scale for vertical axis?

logarithmic prtg scale

Created on Oct 22, 2013 11:47:34 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sorry, as there were no further requests to this requests, it's still only on the wish list.

Created on Nov 24, 2014 10:16:52 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

17 Replies

Votes:

Sorry that is not possible until now.

Created on Oct 22, 2013 11:52:05 AM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Votes:

Since this more than a year back and the answer was "... until now." I wanted to ask if there is a possibility for this now (or planned)?

Created on Nov 22, 2014 4:15:18 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sorry, as there were no further requests to this requests, it's still only on the wish list.

Created on Nov 24, 2014 10:16:52 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the answer.

For me the graphics would be a very good source to give me an idea of what the system load looks like but since they only support linear scale their use is limited. To give a good example where it would be necessary to be able to see "something": A HDD which stores a 20 GB database and has an average read rate of 5 MB/s. Each morning there will be a full backup which runs at 300 MB/s. Now when I look at the graph I see only a 300 MB/s spike but the rest is basically around 0 since the graphics are scaled to allow the maximum to be visible. Of course I could set a spike filter and exclude the backup spike but that would show wrong information then.

There are many other examples where short "valid" spikes cause the more important parts of a graphic show basically as 0 and a logarithmic scale should fix that.

Created on Nov 26, 2014 11:20:19 AM

Last change on Nov 26, 2014 12:36:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would also like logarithmic scales for graphs. This makes it easier see what's going on when there are large variations in data values.

It's the only way get a good idea of traffic/bandwidth usage to be honest. I hope the dev team would re-consider implementing logarithmic interpretation of data.

I can assure you if there was a logarithmic feature, a lot of people would use it. Just because it's not asked for a lot doesn't mean it's not a feature people would use :)

Created on Dec 5, 2014 4:09:45 PM

Votes:

Me too, I think the only way to have a good point of view for data that can have such a large variance is the logarithmic scale. Then another request for this feature!

Created on Nov 11, 2015 8:41:29 AM

Votes:

This would be extremely beneficial, please add this!

Created on Nov 18, 2015 10:42:47 PM

Votes:

I am very interested too to have log scales because a tiny value is readable as a huge one. In some graphics is very usefull. Thanks to add it.

Created on Apr 21, 2016 8:11:42 AM

Votes:

You now have several requests for this- including mine. 8^) It's pretty useless for some things without this.

Created on Oct 26, 2017 7:01:47 PM

Votes:

+1 for logarithm scale of y-axis

One more Sample. I do synthetic HTTP-Requests (Custom XML Sensor) to measure application latency and i'm logging Min/Max/Avg. So min is about 10-20ms, Avg about 15-45ms and MAX is betweeen 20ms and even 2000ms. So i have to hide the max graph so see the details of the Min(/Avg values.

A logarithm scaling would be great.

Created on May 5, 2018 2:46:47 PM

Votes:

Do we need to open a new issue so that this gets attention?

Created on May 9, 2018 8:52:51 PM

Votes:

This would be amazing! I came here looking for how to switch the axis to logarithmic and I'm surprised this isn't already a feature. With interfaces that jump to max bandwidth usage during backup operations, it's really hard to see fluctuations when backups aren't taking place. It just goes from huge plateau to almost zero.

Created on Aug 9, 2018 6:47:31 PM

Votes:

The last response to this from Paessler, was from back in 2014. Does anyone know if this will ever be implemented?

Created on Feb 20, 2019 12:12:32 AM

Votes:

Dear claed,

while nothing is not ruled out, please don't expect an implementation for a logarithmic scale. When we get features requested, we look at the overall demand and prioritize accordingly.

Created on Feb 20, 2019 3:55:26 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please implement this.

Created on Apr 21, 2020 6:02:17 PM

Votes:

Dear gfox,

you can create an official feature request, the procedure is described here. Please allow me to say that nonlinear graph axes are not a top priority because there are a lot of other features in higher demand, some of those are listed on the roadmap.

Created on Apr 22, 2020 2:37:35 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have created an official feature request. It should appear within 24 hours. If those who have participated in this thread who haven't given up on PRTG would up-vote it when it appears, that may help it to happen.

Created on Apr 22, 2020 5:03:10 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.