What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitoring of percipia paralax services

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to add services on one VMware server that is running in customer network. On this server there are running Percipia servicies - Paralax, for hotel phone system.

Is it possible to monitor or somehow track status of these services? They are crucial for customer - payment, checkin of guests etc.

https://percipia.com/cisco

Thank you, Best regards, Pavel

hotel paralax percipia services snmp

Created on Jan 6, 2017 10:30:35 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Pavel,

Do these services directly run on the hypervisor, or on a virtual machine which is located on the VMware host? There are two different ways to monitor the status of particular services:

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 9, 2017 7:54:29 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

These services are on virtual machine - Centos distribution as daemons. We have configured SNMP on VMware machine, but in output of snmpwalk i see these services only as Java application and in output of service that are running on VMware i see only java applications but not exact names of services.

Is there any chance how to obtain real name of services/applications hidden in name of Java services - you know to know which applications/services crashed, not only that one of Java application crashed.

Best regards, Pavel

Created on Jan 9, 2017 3:38:31 PM

Votes:

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm afraid that this will not be possible with the default service sensors, WMI as well as SNMP returns the given name which is also visible in the program list.

This is also discussed in this article, maybe there are some useful hints which allow you to pass additional parameters to the java application, or create a wrapper for the Java application and to monitor it afterwards.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 10, 2017 9:51:03 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.