What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

convert PRTG core from hyper-v vm to vmware vm

Votes:

I have a hyper-v vm running as a PRTG core server. I need to convert it to a VMware vm using VMware converter. I have tried this several times with no success. I have tried stopping all of what I thought would be the necessary services. But each time something within the core server breaks, IIS, licensing, DB issues, etc. What am I doing wrong?

conversion converter hyper-v prtg vmware

Created on Jan 19, 2017 7:28:12 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Awisch,

We will require the error messages which you receive after converting the virtual machine onto a new hypervisor. It will be more secure, to manually migrate all configuration and historic data by following this guide, though: Migration Guide

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 19, 2017 9:59:40 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What do you mean more secure? I'm just changing the virtual hardware while maintaining the OS. I do not want to be forced to build a new VM server just to move to a new hypervisor. That doesn't make sense.

Created on Jan 19, 2017 10:02:58 PM

Votes:

Awish,

By more secure I wanted to indicate, that it will rule out errors which are caused by the VMware converter tool. Otherwise, we would need to take a look into the log files of the new server to see what's causing the issues on the new server. Therefore, please forward a support bundle via the web interface "Setup > Contact" support and refer to this knowledge base article.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 20, 2017 12:34:06 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.