What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I move or migrate my PRTG installation to a different system or server?

Votes:

Important: The topic you are looking for has been moved. Please see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/88205.

I have an installation of PRTG and I want to migrate it to a different system or server.

• What steps do I have to take?
  • How can I move my data (files)?
  • How can I keep my settings?

cluster important installation license migration move prtg standalone

Created on Feb 3, 2010 10:44:44 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 10, 2022 1:16:06 PM by  Frank Hadasch [Paessler Support] (0) 1

45 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 16.4.28 or later

How to Move an Installation of PRTG to Another Computer

Important: The topic you are looking for has been moved. Please see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/88205.

Created on Feb 3, 2010 10:48:02 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Aug 4, 2020 2:08:20 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Is there anything special I need to consider when migrating from virtual to real hardware and vice versa? Thanks for the information!

Created on May 29, 2012 11:09:48 AM

Votes:

move from VM to real hardware or vice versa works the same.

Created on May 29, 2012 11:29:44 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I want to migrate my master (32bit win2003r2) to a 64bit win2008r2 machine, however, i'm running a cluster with (at the moment) a backup- virtual 32bit win2003r2 server, can i re-use this VM alongside the physical 64bit win2008r2 master? Or do i have to reinstall the backup-node VM aswell (to win2008r2 64bit i suppose)?

Created on Jul 11, 2012 7:39:29 AM

Votes:

You could use the same failover node, albeit you would have to adjust the settings so that the connection configurations match. Should you have any issues with this, please send us an email with your particular queries to [email protected].

Created on Jul 11, 2012 2:40:55 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hi, I tried to move my prtg installation from one server to another with different ip, i copied all relevant folder n files. Then I am trying to inter same license information but it not working. Could any body give me any insight. Working prtg on machine1=V9 Machine2=new installed with prtg freeware version 8

Created on Jul 18, 2012 7:28:26 AM

Votes:

Please forward an email to [email protected].

Created on Jul 18, 2012 9:54:13 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hi, I am about to migrate from XPpro_32bit to Win7pro_64bit. What are the manual modifications I should do on registry keys to make it work? Thanks,

Created on Sep 11, 2012 12:49:12 PM

Votes:

You only to need to "change" that on the 64bit Windows it will be the "\Wow6432Node"-part in the registry:

32bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor
64bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor 

Created on Sep 11, 2012 3:25:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I have already migrated PRTG to another PC, but I have noticed that all "Packet Sniffer (custom)" sensors are not gathering statistics on the new PC. It's because there is no network adapter chosen/selected in the "settings" tab of each sensor. Is there a way I can instruct the PRTG to use particular interface for all Sniffer Sensors? I just want to avoid manual selection of the adapter for every sensor since I have around 70 of them. Thanks,

Created on Nov 15, 2012 10:12:28 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid that isn't possible. The issue in this case is that the old adapter is still registered in the configuration of the program, but the new one uses a different name. Using a universal entry isn't applicable, seeing as PRTG would have to guess which adapter to use.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 10:54:51 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Please add for probes to work, Probe Connection Management needs to be changed from Accept connections from the local probe only to accept connections from remote probes on all IPs.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 11:11:12 PM

Votes:

"Consider copying the Monitoring-Database Folder prior to starting the entire move, depending on the number of sensors the Monitoring Database could be quite large and so the copy-process could take quite a while."

Can I copy it while the service is running? It will not be corrupted?

Created on Dec 27, 2012 4:55:20 PM

Votes:

As the monitoring database is separated into days, you might copy all folders out of the \Monitoring Database folder except the one which represents the current day. The current day folder can then be copied when the source PRTG Core service is stopped.

Created on Dec 28, 2012 8:30:08 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please mention that when the server port changes from the old to the new system, after migration the new system is using the old serever port.

Created on Mar 29, 2015 10:36:27 AM

Votes:

I Installed a trail version of PRTG and for security issues I changed the administrator user and deleted the default prtgadmin. In trail everything worked fine.

Now we bought a license I migrated the trail installation to licensed one on an other machine. To migrate the installation I followed the guide you posted here. After the migration I see the Enterprise console want localy connect to the installation with the default credentials (whice are removed). Whice result in a overload protection issue if the console not will be closed

Can I change the credentials whice the enterprose console uses?

With best regards

Peter Vroegop

Created on Apr 28, 2015 7:24:54 AM

Votes:

Hi Peter,

Sure you can. When you right click the server connection within the EC, click "Edit Server Connection". You can change the credentials there :)

Created on Apr 29, 2015 2:00:19 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We migrated to another server, services are working fine but we are experiencing license issue. We already had purchased PRTG 2500 license and it was working fine on the previous installation but today after migrating to the new server PRTG Network Monitor software edition is activated and has successfully accepted the same LICENSE key but for some reason it is showing number of sensors 500 and Licensed Edition "PRTG NETWORK MONITOR 500". Can someone please help on this.

Created on Jun 19, 2015 8:34:39 AM

Votes:

Can you try to enter a trial license, save it and then enter your license again? A trial license key can be obtained on the trial page.

Created on Jun 19, 2015 8:48:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 19, 2015 8:48:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, i have followed the same step that are mentioned above.

1. Stop the core and probe service on the old sever.
  2. Then copy the all file from the path (C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\) that are mentioned above.
  3. Then i go to registry of the windows and export the registry file that are mentioned above (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor) as i used window 2008 server R2 64 bit
  4. Then i go to the new machine Stop the core and probe services.
  5. Paste the files that i copied from the old server into the path ( C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\)
  6. also import the registry file into the new server and emerge into that server.
  7. But When i want to start the core server. The Core server is not starting and it give me the error (PRTG Server could not be started and Please check the core server logs)

Can you please help me in that ? are the above step i followed are correct or anything is missing. Please guide me. thanks

Created on Jul 2, 2016 11:33:35 AM

Last change on Jul 4, 2016 6:04:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please open up a support case with [email protected] and provide us with a support bundle. Withe the logs, we can most certainly determine what the issue is :)

Created on Jul 4, 2016 6:07:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Are there any issues with migrating an existing virtual, on prem. Windows 2008 R2 standalone installation to a Windows 2012 R2 or 2016 server in Azure? Thanks!

Created on Aug 3, 2017 4:14:39 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

None that we're aware of - go ahead :)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support

Created on Aug 4, 2017 6:26:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, can you update this post for the newest version - 17.4.36.3670? I don't see any option to shutdown core or probe - only to restart, and I wonder if there are other changes to procedure to move to a different server. Thanks, Ken

Created on Dec 20, 2017 7:51:24 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The newest version still have Start and Stop available in the PRTG Administration Tool on the Core Server. Please note to use the Administration Tool, not the webinterface's Administrative Tools. The Administration Tool is a small application that runs on the Core Server.

Best regards.

Created on Dec 20, 2017 8:29:53 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Is there anyway to receive alerts while migration is occuring?

Is there any firewall considerations during this process?

Created on Jul 24, 2018 5:51:16 PM

Last change on Jul 25, 2018 11:28:49 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

As long as the Core Service is stopped, you will not receive any notifications. The only way to get a seamless transition is to let the original server run as long as the new server is built up and as long as the data is migrated to the new server.

Could you further clarify the second question?

Is there any firewall considerations during this process?

Best regards

Created on Jul 25, 2018 11:31:45 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Does the license need to be de-activated for the migration to work? I don't see the option to de-activate the license in my settings? And if I migrate my PRTG that has more than 1000 sensors onto a computer that is running freeware will it work?

Created on Aug 1, 2018 9:26:09 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

It would be better to deactivate it. For Freewares there shouldn't be an option to deactivate it - thats fine.

You can surely migrate 1000 Sensors into a Freeware, but 900 of them will get paused as the Freeware only allows 100 sensors.

Best regards

Created on Aug 1, 2018 10:04:07 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok. So do I still need to deactivate if I'm transferring from a server without freeware to a server with freeware?

Created on Aug 1, 2018 10:48:03 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

When the license on the new server is a different one, then there is no need to deactivate the old license.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 2, 2018 12:09:05 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How would these instructions vary if I were moving from V13.2.3.2285 on a Windows 7 64bit unit to a Windows Server 2008R2 unit? Is it possible move the configuration over?

Thank You,

Created on Jan 7, 2019 8:59:46 PM

Votes:

Hi Dennis,

The migration should be possible still (without the updating first part), yes. If you run into any troubles using the guide, please raise a case via [email protected] :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 8, 2019 11:52:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 8, 2019 11:52:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Stephan,

I wanted to get back to you and let you know the migration went very smoothly.

Thank you for your help, Dennis

Created on Feb 12, 2019 2:18:05 PM

Votes:

is it correct for version 19.1.48.2876 ?

Created on Feb 28, 2019 2:02:04 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

yes, this also applies to the latest versions of PRTG.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Feb 28, 2019 3:45:39 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've just completed this migration from a 2008 to 2019 server and can confirm that if you follow the instructions correctly that it works just fine.

One small quirk is that if you have Remote Probes configured and talking to the server you are migrating from, you may need to log into the machines hosting them, Start the PRTG tools and configure them to point to the new server. If you re-using an IP address and the probes are not referencing a DNS name, you should be fine.

Created on Mar 19, 2019 5:38:45 AM

Votes:

We need to migrate from a 32bit PRTG/64bit Windows----> 64bit PRTG/64bit Windows.

Would we need to follow the 32bit Windows to 64bit Windows instructions when its the PRTG installation that was 32bit not the Operating System?

Created on Oct 1, 2019 8:56:20 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

there is nothing further to consider when migrating PRTG from 32 to 64 bit.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther

[email protected]

Created on Oct 2, 2019 5:25:15 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good day,

Would anyone be in a position to tell me if the PRTG installation can be successfully migrated using the Windows Server Migration Tools instead of the steps mentioned above?

I assume the licenses would still need to be deactivated on main + reactivated on new?

Created on Oct 17, 2019 2:16:21 PM

Votes:

Hi Acanti,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately we have no experience with the Windows Server Migration Tools.

In regards of the license I would recommend deactivating the license before the migration.

In case you want to test the Windows Server Migration Tools, please do a backup of PRTG beforehand.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther

[email protected]

Created on Oct 18, 2019 8:39:08 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, although your instructions are correct there are quite important steps missing. Please correct/complete your Server move tutorial!

I come from having migrated from a Windows Server 2016-Virtual machine - to a Windows Server 2019-Hardware Server (we are running more than 8.000 sensors).

I followed the above instructions, all went fine. But when I have checked the new PRTG Core Server (and Probe) I missed:

1) MAPS: there were no Background for all of our Maps 2) Custom Icons for Devices: they have been missing too 3) Custom Sensors, Scripts and a lot more. 2) Our public certificate has been replaced with the built-in certificate - so I had to follow the tutorial of the Paessler KB once again (which is not too complex due to the Paessler Cert Importer).

So when I have changed the new instance's IP to the (former/old) IP of the old PRTG VM, I could not Export all the necessary data anymore.

What was necessary?

A) I had to recover (from our Cloud backup) to get the entire "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor" -Directory where all the missing items have been stored. So the database itself may be stored in "programfiles", but the (x86)-part is essential as well.

B) and then I had to use a tool like "beyond compare" to compare the Directory Content to complement/add all the missing stuff (About one hour of work).

Please stipulate this essential part of Migration / Import - so users will be working more straightforward than me :-)

Created on Nov 3, 2019 3:07:05 PM

Votes:

Thank you for your feedback, George, we will look into it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 5, 2019 6:26:50 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to move our PRTG Server from an old Windows 2008 Server to a Windows 2019 server (with a new IP address). What would you recommend? First migrate the server using the above steps, and afterwards change the IP? Or first change the IP and the migrate? Does the article still apply to the newest PRTG version?

Kind regards,
Matthias

Created on Apr 1, 2020 12:51:28 PM

Votes:

Hello Matthias,

The guide is still valid for the latest PRTG version. The guide describes what steps needs to be done if the IP of the server changes, so I would suggest to change the IP after the migration. If you have any Remote Probes please see "Step 9" of the guide, and also please see the "After Migration" section of the guide.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 2, 2020 7:27:43 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.