New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I move (migrate) my PRTG installation to another computer?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I have an installation of PRTG and I want to port (migrate) it to different system (server).

• What steps do I have to take?
  • How can I move my data (files)?
  • How can I keep my settings?

cluster important installation license migration move prtg standalone

Created on Feb 3, 2010 10:44:44 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 20, 2018 1:42:05 PM by  Jan Taubmann[Paessler Support]

31 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 16.4.28 or later

How to Move an Installation of PRTG to Another Computer

This article explains how to move an installation of PRTG Network Monitor to another computer. The instructions are valid for a standalone installation, or for the Master node, when running PRTG in failover clustering mode.

PRTG Network Monitor writes data to several locations:

• Into the program directory (core installation)
  • Into the data folder (for example, monitoring configuration, monitoring data, logs)
  • Into the registry (for example, license key, admin login, IP settings)

When Running a PRTG Cluster

If you run PRTG in failover cluster mode, the instructions in this article apply to a Master node core server.

If you plan to move a Failover node core server to another system, you can follow the procedure of this article as well. However, if you can afford losing your failover node's data, it is an easier way to install a completely new failover node and join the cluster. The new failover node will receive the monitoring configuration from the Master node automatically. The only procedure additionally necessary beforehand: Log in to the Master node's web interface and navigate to Setup | System Administration | Cluster. Delete the entry of the failover node that you want to remove from the cluster. Save your settings.

Check PRTG and Windows Version

To successfully move a PRTG installation, make sure you install the same PRTG build on source and target computer! You may have to update the source computer to the latest PRTG version before proceeding.

If you want to transfer PRTG from a 32-bit Windows to another 32-bit Windows, or from 64-bit to 64-bit, please follow the steps below.

If you want to transfer PRTG from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Windows, or vice versa, then you have to perform some steps manually:

• either a manual modification of registry keys: (re)move the "Paessler" branch from/to the "Wow6432Node" node.
  • or a manual transfer of the settings of the PRTG Administration Tool from the old to the new system instead of performing Step 5 and Step 6 of this guide. Please see Step 6a.
    Note: In previous PRTG versions, transfer the settings from the deprecated tools "PRTG Server Administrator" and the "PRTG Probe Administrator".

Migration Step by Step

To migrate an installation from a source computer to a target computer the following steps are necessary.

Step 1a: Deactivate License on the Source System

Note: The option to manually deactivate the license on a PRTG server via the web interface is available as of PRTG version 16.4.28. To migrate previous PRTG versions, please start with Step 1b of this guide.

Before you start migrating PRTG to another server, deactivate your PRTG license on the original server. This makes sure that you can seamlessly activate your license on your new server. PRTG will still run as licensed edition for a 30 days grace period so you will have enough time to complete the migration.

1. Open the web interface of the PRTG installation that you want to move to another server.
  2. Choose Setup | License from the main menu bar.
  3. Click Deactivate this License and confirm the deactivation of the license on this PRTG server.

The PRTG license on this computer is now deactivated. It will revert to the Freeware Edition after a grace period of 30 days. For more information, see PRTG Manual: PRTG Status—Licensing Status and Settings

If you want to undo the license deactivation on a server, please contact our customer service. Reactivating a license is not possible by default. Please also contact us if you cannot deactivate the license on your old system because it is not reachable anymore for some reason. We have to manually deactivate the license for this system ID in this case.

Step 1b: Install PRTG on the Target System

• Requires you to enter the license key and name to activate the software. If license activation is successful, you will see an according message during the installation as of PRTG version 16.4.28. For details, please see PRTG Manual: Install a PRTG Core Server. You can always check the license status of a PRTG installation under Setup | License in your PRTG web interface.

Note: As of PRTG version 16.4.28, please deactivate the license on your old server before the installation on your new server (see Step 1a). In previous versions, the license on the new server will run as freeware as long as the old installation is active.

Step 2: Stop Core and Probe Services on Source and Target System

• Both systems: In the PRTG Administration Tool choose the Service Start/Stop tab and click on Stop Core Server and Stop Probe Service.

Note: In previous PRTG versions, you have to use the "PRTG Server Administrator" and the "PRTG Probe Administrator" programs to stop the services.

Step 3: Find the Data Folders

• Both systems: In the PRTG Administration Tool choose the Core Server tab and see section Local Storage of Data Files and Monitoring Database.

Note: In previous PRTG versions, you have to use the "PRTG Server Administrator" and the "PRTG Probe Administrator" programs to find the local storage folder.

Step 4: Copy All Files to the Data Folders of the Target System

• Overwrite all files on the target system
  • Note: The following folders are not necessary for the migration:
    • Configuration Auto-Backups
    • Logs (System)
    • Logs (Debug)
    • Logs (Web Server)
    • Report PDFs

Consider copying the Monitoring-Database Folder prior to starting the entire move, depending on the number of sensors the Monitoring Database could be quite large and so the copy-process could take quite a while.

Step 5: Export Settings of the Old Server and Local Probe from the Windows Registry to a File

Warning: Please make sure you have a proper system backup before manipulating the Windows registry!

Note: If you migrate PRTG from a 32-bit to a 64-bit Windows, the following instructions will not work. Please see Step 6a in this case.

• On the old system, open the Windows registry editor and navigate to the PRTG registry key. The exact location varies, depending on the Windows operating system installed (32 bit vs. 64 bit).
    • 32 bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor
    • 64 bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor
  • Right-click on PRTG Network Monitor and Export the selected branch to a *.reg file. Save the file to a USB stick or network share.
  • Note: The new PRTG server will use the same IP address as your existing server. Please make sure the new server actually owns the old IP addresses, and shut down the old server. If you need to change the IP address during migration, so the new server owns a different IP address, please follow the additional notes in the “After Migration” section below.

Step 6: Import Settings of the Old Server and Local Probe to the Registry of the New Server

Warning: Please make sure you have a proper system backup before manipulating the Windows registry!

Note: If you migrate PRTG from a 32bit to a 64bit Windows, the following instructions will not work. Please see Step 6a in this case.

• On the new system, make sure the installed Windows version matches the one of the old system, regarding the bit version. That means, if the old system ran a 32bit Windows, make sure that the Windows version on the new server is 32bit, too. Or 64bit, accordingly. Note: If you want to import settings from a 32bit Windows to a 64bit Windows version (or vice versa), please change the branch of the registry settings manually; we do not officially support this procedure.
  • Import the PRTG settings to the Windows registry of the new server, for example, by double-clicking the *.reg file you exported on the old server.
    Note: If you do not import the PRTG settings into the registry, settings like, for example, username and password will revert to default (username and password would be prtgadmin again).
  • Note: The new PRTG server will use the same IP address as your existing server. Please make sure the new server actually owns the old IP addresses, and shut down the old server. If you need to change the IP address during migration, so the new server owns a different IP address, please follow the additional notes in the “After Migration” section below.

Step 6a: Migrating PRTG from 32-bit to 64-bit Systems

If you move your PRTG installation from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Windows, registry export and import as described in steps 5 and 6 will not work. You have to copy the settings manually:

• Open the PRTG Administration Tool on both the source (old) and the target (new) system.
  • Manually transfer the settings from the source to the target system.
  • Ensure that you copy all settings!

Please go on with Step 7.

Note: In previous PRTG versions, you have to copy the settings from both the "PRTG Server Administrator" and the "PRTG Probe Administrator" from the source to the target system.

Step 7: Only When Using Remote Probes: Check Core Server Settings

• On the target system, open the PRTG Administration Tool ("PRTG Server Administrator" program in previous PRTG versions).
  • On the Core Server tab, make sure the settings for Probe Connection Management are correct: If you use Remote Probes, this setting must not be set to the first (default) option, but you must allow connections from remote probes; either on all IPs, or on specific IPs you define here.

Note: This step is necessary, because the import of registry settings does not always work flawlessly here, depending on the Windows version used.

Step 8: Check Data Path

• On the target system, open the PRTG Administration Tool ("PRTG Server Administrator" program in previous PRTG versions).
  • In the Core Server tab, make sure the folder for Local Storage of Data Files and Monitoring Database matches the path you copied the data to (in Step 4). Change the setting to the correct path, if necessary.

Step 9 (optional): Adjust Settings of Existing Remote Probe Installations

• This step is only necessary if your PRTG configuration uses Remote Probes and if the IP address of the core server changes during this migration.
  • Connect to each Remote Probe system, open the PRTG Administration Tool and enter the new IP address of the target server (in previous PRTG versions, use the “PRTG Probe Administrator” program).
  • You might also need to change settings in the PRTG web interface so your new installation accepts incoming remote probe connections (on all IP addresses, if applicable). Please change settings under Setup | System Administration | Core & Probes.

Step 10: Start Core and Probe Services on the Target System

• Target system: In the PRTG Administration Tool choose the Service Start/Stop tab and click on Start Core Server and Start Probe Service.

Note: In previous PRTG versions, you have to use the "PRTG Server Administrator" and the "PRTG Probe Administrator" programs to start the services.

Step 11: Log into the Web Interface and Review Monitoring Setup and Results

• Check if the migration was successful.

Step 12 (optional): Update to the Latest Version of PRTG

• We recommend you always keep your systems up to date.

After Migration

After a migration you may need to look at the following aspects, depending on your configuration.

If You Get the Message "License too old"

Important: Please contact the Paessler Customer Service to enable another activation attempt and tell us the reason for your PRTG migration. This helps us to help you faster because we can see immediately if your activation request is valid.

If the IP Address of the Server Has Changed

• The PRTG core server automatically switched its web server to “localhost”. To make the web interface available again under the IP address of the core server, open the PRTG Administration Tool and change settings in the “Web Server” tab accordingly (in previous PRTG versions, use the “PRTG Server Administrator” program).
  • If the IP address of the server changed you may need to change firewall settings and/or NAT settings which apply to the old address
  • If you use a SMTP relay server for email delivery out of PRTG you may need to allow relaying for the new IP address
  • When running a PRTG cluster: If the IP address of the server changed, please open the PRTG web interface of the Master node and navigate to Setup | System Administration | Cluster.
    • If you moved a Master node: Change the IP address entry of the master node, so existing Failover nodes are able to re-connect to the new server.
    • If you moved a Failover node: Change the IP address entry of the failover node, so the Master node is able to re-connect to the new failover server.

If the Hostname of the Server Has Changed

• Please navigate to Setup | System Administration | User Interface ("System & Website" in previous versions) and check the DNS Name field. Make sure that this DNS record points to the correct server. This DNS Address will be included in links/mails sent by PRTG. If this continues pointing to the old server, links in E-mails may not work.
  • It's also worth confirming that your clients (Web, Enterprise Console, Dashboards/maps) and REMOTE PROBES are pointing to the correct hostname or IP Address.
  • If relevant in your network, you should go to the Notification Delivery tab and check the HELO Ident field. Make sure it uses a value that is accepted by your mail server.

Other Aspects

• The following folders may contain your own custom files which must also be moved to the new system. The given paths are for a standard installation of PRTG:
    • Custom sensor files:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors
    • Webserver certificate:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\cert
    • Device templates:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates
    • SNMP oidlib libraries:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\snmplibs
    • SNMP MIB files:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB
    • Custom notifications:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\Notifications
    • Custom Maps objects:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapobjects
    • Custom Maps background images:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapbackground
    • Custom lookups:
      C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom

See Also

Created on Feb 3, 2010 10:48:02 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 20, 2017 4:43:06 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Is there anything special I need to consider when migrating from virtual to real hardware and vice versa? Thanks for the information!

Created on May 29, 2012 11:09:48 AM by  maengling (70) 1 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

move from VM to real hardware or vice versa works the same.

Created on May 29, 2012 11:29:44 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I want to migrate my master (32bit win2003r2) to a 64bit win2008r2 machine, however, i'm running a cluster with (at the moment) a backup- virtual 32bit win2003r2 server, can i re-use this VM alongside the physical 64bit win2008r2 master? Or do i have to reinstall the backup-node VM aswell (to win2008r2 64bit i suppose)?

Created on Jul 11, 2012 7:39:29 AM by  C.J.M. Hirschler (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

You could use the same failover node, albeit you would have to adjust the settings so that the connection configurations match. Should you have any issues with this, please send us an email with your particular queries to support@paessler.com.

Created on Jul 11, 2012 2:40:55 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,094) 3 3

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, I tried to move my prtg installation from one server to another with different ip, i copied all relevant folder n files. Then I am trying to inter same license information but it not working. Could any body give me any insight. Working prtg on machine1=V9 Machine2=new installed with prtg freeware version 8

Created on Jul 18, 2012 7:28:26 AM by  madminadmin (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please forward an email to support@paessler.com.

Created on Jul 18, 2012 9:54:13 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,094) 3 3

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, I am about to migrate from XPpro_32bit to Win7pro_64bit. What are the manual modifications I should do on registry keys to make it work? Thanks,

Created on Sep 11, 2012 12:49:12 PM by  Nicolas Thiery (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

You only to need to "change" that on the 64bit Windows it will be the "\Wow6432Node"-part in the registry:

32bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor
64bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor 

Created on Sep 11, 2012 3:25:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, I have already migrated PRTG to another PC, but I have noticed that all "Packet Sniffer (custom)" sensors are not gathering statistics on the new PC. It's because there is no network adapter chosen/selected in the "settings" tab of each sensor. Is there a way I can instruct the PRTG to use particular interface for all Sniffer Sensors? I just want to avoid manual selection of the adapter for every sensor since I have around 70 of them. Thanks,

Created on Nov 15, 2012 10:12:28 AM by  Piotr Nowak (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I'm afraid that isn't possible. The issue in this case is that the old adapter is still registered in the configuration of the program, but the new one uses a different name. Using a universal entry isn't applicable, seeing as PRTG would have to guess which adapter to use.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 10:54:51 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,094) 3 3

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please add for probes to work, Probe Connection Management needs to be changed from Accept connections from the local probe only to accept connections from remote probes on all IPs.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 11:11:12 PM by  Randolfini (250) 2 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

"Consider copying the Monitoring-Database Folder prior to starting the entire move, depending on the number of sensors the Monitoring Database could be quite large and so the copy-process could take quite a while."

Can I copy it while the service is running? It will not be corrupted?

Created on Dec 27, 2012 4:55:20 PM by  Hormoz Babelpour (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

As the monitoring database is separated into days, you might copy all folders out of the \Monitoring Database folder except the one which represents the current day. The current day folder can then be copied when the source PRTG Core service is stopped.

Created on Dec 28, 2012 8:30:08 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please mention that when the server port changes from the old to the new system, after migration the new system is using the old serever port.

Created on Mar 29, 2015 10:36:27 AM by  Joachim Berger (10) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I Installed a trail version of PRTG and for security issues I changed the administrator user and deleted the default prtgadmin. In trail everything worked fine.

Now we bought a license I migrated the trail installation to licensed one on an other machine. To migrate the installation I followed the guide you posted here. After the migration I see the Enterprise console want localy connect to the installation with the default credentials (whice are removed). Whice result in a overload protection issue if the console not will be closed

Can I change the credentials whice the enterprose console uses?

With best regards

Peter Vroegop

Created on Apr 28, 2015 7:24:54 AM by  compaxo (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Peter,

Sure you can. When you right click the server connection within the EC, click "Edit Server Connection". You can change the credentials there :)

Created on Apr 29, 2015 2:00:19 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We migrated to another server, services are working fine but we are experiencing license issue. We already had purchased PRTG 2500 license and it was working fine on the previous installation but today after migrating to the new server PRTG Network Monitor software edition is activated and has successfully accepted the same LICENSE key but for some reason it is showing number of sensors 500 and Licensed Edition "PRTG NETWORK MONITOR 500". Can someone please help on this.

Created on Jun 19, 2015 8:34:39 AM by  farhan_ft (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Can you try to enter a trial license, save it and then enter your license again? A trial license key can be obtained on the trial page.

Created on Jun 19, 2015 8:48:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 19, 2015 8:48:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, i have followed the same step that are mentioned above.

1. Stop the core and probe service on the old sever.
  2. Then copy the all file from the path (C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\) that are mentioned above.
  3. Then i go to registry of the windows and export the registry file that are mentioned above (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor) as i used window 2008 server R2 64 bit
  4. Then i go to the new machine Stop the core and probe services.
  5. Paste the files that i copied from the old server into the path ( C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\)
  6. also import the registry file into the new server and emerge into that server.
  7. But When i want to start the core server. The Core server is not starting and it give me the error (PRTG Server could not be started and Please check the core server logs)

Can you please help me in that ? are the above step i followed are correct or anything is missing. Please guide me. thanks

Created on Jul 2, 2016 11:33:35 AM by  FAIzan1234 (0) 1

Last change on Jul 4, 2016 6:04:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please open up a support case with support@paessler.com and provide us with a support bundle. Withe the logs, we can most certainly determine what the issue is :)

Created on Jul 4, 2016 6:07:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Are there any issues with migrating an existing virtual, on prem. Windows 2008 R2 standalone installation to a Windows 2012 R2 or 2016 server in Azure? Thanks!

Created on Aug 3, 2017 4:14:39 PM by  Jmac_57 (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

None that we're aware of - go ahead :)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support

Created on Aug 4, 2017 6:26:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, can you update this post for the newest version - 17.4.36.3670? I don't see any option to shutdown core or probe - only to restart, and I wonder if there are other changes to procedure to move to a different server. Thanks, Ken

Created on Dec 20, 2017 7:51:24 PM by  kentravis (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

The newest version still have Start and Stop available in the PRTG Administration Tool on the Core Server. Please note to use the Administration Tool, not the webinterface's Administrative Tools. The Administration Tool is a small application that runs on the Core Server.

Best regards.

Created on Dec 20, 2017 8:29:53 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, Is there anyway to receive alerts while migration is occuring?

Is there any firewall considerations during this process?

Created on Jul 24, 2018 5:51:16 PM by  techguy (0) 2 1

Last change on Jul 25, 2018 11:28:49 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

As long as the Core Service is stopped, you will not receive any notifications. The only way to get a seamless transition is to let the original server run as long as the new server is built up and as long as the data is migrated to the new server.

Could you further clarify the second question?

Is there any firewall considerations during this process?

Best regards

Created on Jul 25, 2018 11:31:45 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Does the license need to be de-activated for the migration to work? I don't see the option to de-activate the license in my settings? And if I migrate my PRTG that has more than 1000 sensors onto a computer that is running freeware will it work?

Created on Aug 1, 2018 9:26:09 PM by  techguy (0) 2 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

It would be better to deactivate it. For Freewares there shouldn't be an option to deactivate it - thats fine.

You can surely migrate 1000 Sensors into a Freeware, but 900 of them will get paused as the Freeware only allows 100 sensors.

Best regards

Created on Aug 1, 2018 10:04:07 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Ok. So do I still need to deactivate if I'm transferring from a server without freeware to a server with freeware?

Created on Aug 1, 2018 10:48:03 PM by  techguy (0) 2 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

When the license on the new server is a different one, then there is no need to deactivate the old license.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 2, 2018 12:09:05 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.