What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG v18- Notifications improvements needed

Votes:

Arguably one of the core so important features of prtg is its ability to notify users of alert conditions. While there are some excellent elements of the prtg notification system (redundant email server settings, excellent push notifications via prtg app, SMS integration and third-party notification services integration , editable templates), there are some major issues that need to be improved. The elements of the notification system that involve the actual sending out of the notifications are just about perfect, however just as important are the triggers and configurations of when notifications should be sent. Having used (and loving) prtg since the early 2000s, I can say it seems that the system for configuring and setup of notifications has changed/improved little in this time and really needs some improvements (or an full overhaul).

Some examples of urgently needed improvements as of current, v18 (#1 is the most important):

1- Either the ability to add notifications based on (sensor/device) TAG (ie xyz notification settings only gets applied to sensors tagged "ourPings") , or the ability to configure notifications in the management tab (ie multi sensors / device select, then edit notifications for that selection) . ( the goal of both being to quickly add common notification settings for many devices instead of one at a time or being restricted to an entire group ) .

2- Grouping of notifications (at device or group level) - ie, wait for X or more sensors to be down per device, before triggering a notification, (or wait for all sensors of a device to be in down state before notify).

3- better handling of sensors with longer intervals (ie sensors with 5 or 10min intervals) with "Timespan for Summarizing" type setting (currently you will get 2x or more DOWN and UP notifications if you have sensors with mixed intervals)

4- editable templates for prtg summarized notifications.

5- For sensors at the group level, the option to choose a sensor type per notification. This could be as simple as being able to set the units on a threshold type notification ( for example if you set a notification to alert me above 300 *milliseconds*, this would clearly only apply to your ping sensors, or if you set a threshold for notify below 500 *megabytes* this would only apply to megabyte based sensors. Currently you can only put in a number value so, for example, a threshold sensor set to "above 300" could be triggered for Ping sensors, SNMP, memory Etc , as numbers are universal , units of measurement are specific.

A scenario where this is needed- often devices will contain many different sensor types such as ping + SNMP + VMware soap/WMI. Each sensor type has unique notification needs / settings- currently one has to set these different notifications , individually , on a per sensor level (ie one sensor at a time). This makes expanding/adding new devices , or the initial notification configuration of a large setup unnecessarily time-consuming and difficult.

I'm posting this here to get other feedback from prtg users and prtg staff (ie, maybe i'm wrong on this, and our needs in this regard are unique) , so please lmk if i need to email support or other email to get this post noticed by prtg management or developers (or if they will see this wo further action). Thank you.

features notifications prtg

Created on Jan 4, 2019 3:41:21 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

1) did you try to use LIBRARIES to accomplish this?

2) well - depending on how I look at it - but the Business Process Sensor might be able to help you here. Honestly, I want a notification when something goes down - not the whole device. But if you want to summarize things, the business process sensor or even the sensor factory sensor might be what you are looking for

3) not fully following you there - can you explain more detailed?

4) PRTG support might be able to answer if this is possible, I don't use it

5) again - LIRBARIES

Since I am just a long time PRTG like you - I hear you - but some of the stuff is already possible. Being a dinosaur as well (in terms of long time user eg. - hope you get the joke) I sometimes had to rethink if I do things the optimal way.

If I am wrong with something, I am sure the support team will correct me. And I love any ideas and input here - the main reason I am so active is simply that I constantly either learn about features I didn't fully know about or get ideas from others what I might need to monitor as well before anything happens.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jan 7, 2019 9:14:07 PM

Votes:

Either the ability to add notifications based on (sensor/device) TAG (ie xyz notification settings only gets applied to sensors tagged "ourPings") , or the ability to configure notifications in the management tab (ie multi sensors / device select, then edit notifications for that selection) . ( the goal of both being to quickly add common notification settings for many devices instead of one at a time or being restricted to an entire group ).

Same as what Florian said. Libaries would be the way to go here

Grouping of notifications (at device or group level) - ie, wait for X or more sensors to be down per device, before triggering a notification, (or wait for all sensors of a device to be in down state before notify).

Ditto, Flo.

Better handling of sensors with longer intervals (ie sensors with 5 or 10min intervals) with "Timespan for Summarizing" type setting (currently you will get 2x or more DOWN and UP notifications if you have sensors with mixed intervals)

Same as before, it's probably difficult to catch issues then, let alone debugging "Why haven't I received a notification for this sensor?" (which is tedious already in certain situations) :)

Editable templates for prtg summarized notifications.

Could you elaborate this one? Are you talking about the mail notification templates? What would you like to see modified about them?

For sensors at the group level, the option to choose a sensor type per notification. This could be as simple as being able to set the units on a threshold type notification ( for example if you set a notification to alert me above 300 [...]

That's exactly what libraries allow you to do :) See also the Paessler website: How to set up notifications via the PRTG web interface.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 7, 2019 9:59:28 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 10:43:13 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

un-real! Libraries are EXACTLY what i need! I guess after all these years of using prtg i got complaisant- i always though Libraries were similar to custom snmp/oid libs and a way to make a type of custom template for new devices.

anyway, this is great and a big help. Now i can redo all my notifications to be exactly how i want them (among other benefits). off to read the manual on Libraries.

thanks again

Created on Jan 8, 2019 8:52:45 AM

Votes:

unfortunately , im still having problems with prtg notifications. I moved basic notifications to libraries a day ago, and removed all notifications from my group.

howerver today, im still getting notifications from those old group settings (which i confirmed , are removed, but are still sending notifications).

i also didn't get any notification from the library notifications (which i should have)

any ideas?

tks

Created on Jan 9, 2019 10:26:30 PM

Votes:

And there surely are no inherited notification triggers in either the device or the sensor? By group, you mean an object group or user group?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 10, 2019 3:00:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.