What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disable Device renaming on Auto Discovery-enabled Groups

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I don't want PRTG to rename my existing devices after I renamed them at least once.

Details of User Story

If I'm adding a device and giving it a name, PRTG shouldn't over write that name with whatever it finds. I've given it the name I want already. I don't want it to put my name in brackets after the device's IP address. If I did, guess what - that's what I'd have put in the name field!

It's a minor thing, but it adds an unnecessary step to configuring new devices. It makes no sense to have to name a device two times to get it how I want it. If you're saying we'd have to disable auto-discover to get the desired behaviour, that means adding device sensors manually just so I can keep the name I chose.

Acceptance criteria

• I can disable the automatic renaming feature for known devices in groups with Auto Discovery enabled

Status

Open

add-feature autodiscovery groups prtg-kbtracker

Created on Oct 2, 2020 2:15:21 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.