What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Mail custom text format for notification on snmp trap reception

Votes:

I use custom text mail format in the notification with only %trapmessages. It worked fine and the format was the following: Bindings:

SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.2
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.3 = 0
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.4 = 0
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.5 = 255
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.6 = 255
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.7 = 3
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.8 = ChassisFan
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.9 = Chassis Fan Failure
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.10 = 5

but today it has changed :
Bindings:
SNMPv2-M

IB::snmpTrapOID.0 = TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcNotification TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcCardId = 0 TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcChassis = 0 TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcSlot = 255 TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcPort = 255 TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcNotificationId = alarmChassisFanFailure (3) TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcShortDescription = ChassisFan TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcLongDescription = Chassis Fan Failure TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcSeverity = critical (5)

all informations are on the same line. I have deleted old rule and created a new one it is the same. Prtg is 19.3.51.2830 version , does anyone have an idea to get back to first format ? Thanks in advance.

custom-notification snmp trap

Created on May 5, 2021 9:23:26 AM

Last change on May 5, 2021 10:49:09 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Does the trap message in the SNMP Trap Receiver sensor look the same?
It looks like the OIDs for the individual results are being translated.
For example:

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.27894.9.1.2.7 = 3 --> TCCHASSIS-MIB::tcNotificationId = alarmChassisFanFailure (3)

Did you perhaps import the MIB files for these traps into PRTG?
For more information about this please see "How can I show the name of a received OID in PRTG".

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on May 10, 2021 7:34:49 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa, thanks for reply, yes i copied the specific mibs in the \mib of core server.

If i need to go back to generic mib instead of specific mib , do i have to remove these specific mibs from \MIB and then restart core services ?

Thanks for your help. Regards.

Created on May 12, 2021 11:50:03 AM

Votes:

Hello,

"If i need to go back to generic mib instead of specific mib" -->Not sure what you mean with "generic MIB".
If you remove the specific MIB for the trap messages, then the OIDs will no longer be translated. In this case you may need to restart PRTG for the changes to take effect.

Kind regards,

Created on May 13, 2021 6:05:18 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

"If i need to go back to generic mib instead of specific mib" -->Not sure what you mean with "generic MIB".
If you remove the specific MIB for the trap messages, then the OIDs will no longer be translated. In this case you may need to restart PRTG for the changes to take effect.

Kind regards,

Created on May 13, 2021 6:05:19 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.