What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Apply a Filter in SNMP Trap Receiver

Votes:

Hello,

I´ve configured a SNMP Trap-Receiver Sensor and get Trap Messages from the Agent Device.

Here´s the content of the column "bindings" in the message-tab:

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.6101.710 = Scan: STORAGE SCANNER Virus: Eicar_test_file File: \\192.168.x.x\ontap_admin$\test_CIFS_volume\Neues Textdokument (2).txt Computer: SRVNETAPPSCAN01 User: 192.168.x.xInfection source: svmtest Action: Clean failed - Quarantine success

I tried several filters to get an error of the sensor without success.

I tried for example

bindings[Virus]

but the Sensor stays green.

Can anybody help?

Thanks + Kind regards

filter prtg snmp

Created on Jan 12, 2023 9:59:13 AM

Last change on Jan 12, 2023 3:53:13 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please let me know whether you already received traps?
If so, you can filter in the "Message" tab and then go the the "Advanced Filter" to see the filter query.

Created on Jan 13, 2023 10:36:08 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Moritz,

I just created a Device in PRTG and added a SNMP-Trap-Receiver Sensor.

The Sensor receives SNMP-Trap messages.

I can send messages from the source device who is sending SNMP-Trap-Messages and the PRTG-Sensor receives the messages. The messages are displayed in the Message-Tab in the PRTG-Sensor.

In the PRTG-Sensor I´ve configured a filter-setting as described above. I used the instructions explained here: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_trap_receiver_sensor

My Error-Filter in this sensor looks like this: bindings[Virus]

The sensor stays green even if there comes a SNMP-Trap Message with the Content "Virus" in the message.

Therefore please assist how we can achieve to get an error-status of the PRTG-Sensor when the sensor receives a message with "Virus" in the message...

Created on Jan 13, 2023 10:46:40 AM

Votes:

Hello again,

I now could see when I extend the time for querying the sensor that the sensor switches to Alarm and gets red.

On the next time the sensor will be queried, the sensor comes back to green.

I followed the instructions on

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/73212-how-can-i-configure-sensors-using-speed-limits-to-keep-the-status-for-more-than-one-interval

and set up a "Green IT" Sensor and the notification template with the URL but the sensor does not persist to be red....

Created on Jan 13, 2023 12:31:09 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I can see you already found the best practice here. The API call should set the Green IT Sensor in the Error state. Did you tested the call if this does not happen?

Created on Jan 16, 2023 2:11:36 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I finally got it right now. I tested the API call on a web browser and it worked.

I tested it on PRTG again and it did not work.

I changed the PRTG Webserver-Certificate to a trusted internal Certificate and now it´s working.

Furthermore it was (obviously) necessary to select the correct notification template in the notification trigger to got it working.

Cheers

Created on Jan 17, 2023 2:27:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.