What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)

Votes:

I was monitoring a cisco 3825 router with multiple serial interfaces. For some reason out of the blue on one of the interfaces it suddenly shows this error: No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)

This was working fine up till this morning. I tried forcing 32bit SNMP but that did not seem to resolve it. I can find nothing different on this interface then there was before this error started.

prtg serial-interface snmp

Created on Oct 12, 2010 8:09:21 PM

14 Replies

Votes:

Dear Bill,

does a new sensor work for this particular interface? If so, could there have been any event which may have caused the router to change the OID for this interface?

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 13, 2010 2:05:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Try to force the snmp index on Cisco routers with : snmp-server ifindex persist

Created on Oct 26, 2010 2:50:00 PM

Votes:

Changing the version of the SNMP protocol from v2c to v1 works for me.

Created on Dec 9, 2010 6:03:07 PM

Votes:

hello i have problem to add a sensor for serial-interface in cisco 3825 main purpose for this sensor is discovering status of serial port

Created on Feb 24, 2011 3:52:32 PM

Votes:

im sorry i wrong make a question ... i dont have problem with "No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)" my troble is when a auto-discovery my router prtg didnt find a serial interfaces

could you tell me how a shuld add a sensor for monitoring serial interface?

Created on Feb 25, 2011 11:35:22 AM

Votes:

its not working, i try add a sensor:

1) add sensor 2) snmp library 3) cisco-interface 4) i see only numbers of interfacje and a dont know witch of them is serial for example ...

Created on Feb 25, 2011 1:13:13 PM

Votes:

Have you enabled the 32bit counters -> Force-options in the device's Settings (in PRTG) before trying to add the sensor?

Created on Feb 25, 2011 2:43:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

yes but still i have the same situation ... i have PRTG Network Monitor 8.1.2.1810 version of prtg

Created on Feb 28, 2011 8:22:50 AM

Votes:

Then please try to use a SNMP Custom Sensor with an explicit OID.

Created on Feb 28, 2011 1:57:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i can't do that my OID is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8 this is a table kind, source. when i try add oid in this way i get "No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)"

Created on Feb 28, 2011 2:36:10 PM

Votes:

Then it might not be possible to monitor this counter with PRTG in the moment.

Created on Mar 1, 2011 4:40:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This happened to me when I was trying to add Errors and Discards on a subinterface. Those counters are only available on the physical interface.

Created on Aug 24, 2020 2:55:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.