What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I turn off auto-discovery?

Votes:

Hello,

Is it possible to turn off auto-discovery? After my PRTG installation, I run the auto-discovery. The auto-discovery works fine and finds all devices. So after the auto-discovery was finished, I deleted all the client workstations in PRTG, because I won`t monitor them. Yesterday the auto-discovery started automatically (I found no option to disable the auto-discovery) and all client workstations that I deleted are back. I don`t want to see all the client workstations. How can I configure PRTG so that these devices are not added?

Thank you.

Manuel Reimer

auto-discovery prtg scan

Created on Oct 15, 2010 8:16:42 AM

Last change on Dec 3, 2020 1:36:12 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

17 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

How can I turn off auto-discovery?

Automatic auto-discovery is set at group or device level. You can change it in your group's or device's settings, section Device Identification and Auto-Discovery, setting Auto-Discovery Level.

The easiest way to disable auto-discovery for all devices is to use multi-edit:

1. In the main menu of the PRTG web interface, select Devices | Device List.
  2. Select all of your devices and click the settings symbol.
  3. Under Auto-Discovery Level, select No auto-discovery for all devices simultaneously and click OK to save your settings.

Tip: You can disable the initial auto-discovery in a fresh PRTG installation. Simply run the installer in a command prompt and add /NoInitialAutoDisco=1 as parameter.

More

Created on Oct 15, 2010 8:52:52 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 9:12:47 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

is there any planning to build a "global switch" that the autodiscovery can be disabled? We use the PRTG in the company within multiple plants and sometimes colleagues from different plants use the autodiscovery.

It would be great if there is an global switch for me as Appllication Admin to disable this function global.

Thx! Regards Christoph

Created on Aug 1, 2016 11:58:28 AM

Votes:

As of right now, it's not planned to implement such a kill switch. It's probably easier to advise the colleagues to avoid autodiscoveries whenever possible :)

Created on Aug 1, 2016 12:11:50 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

unfortunately there are about 280 colleagues in the field. Sure there is the advice that they are not allowed to use this. But there is always some fluctuation or some new collegaues that don't know or simply don't care about this.

Can you please put this on a roadmap? I know that the priority would not be to high (maybe some other customers would also find this nice) but maybe it's not too much work to implement such a feature.

Thanks!

Created on Aug 1, 2016 2:22:41 PM

Votes:

Not a setting, but you can monitor the config file for devices / groups with an enabled auto discovery:

[string] $ConfigurationFilePath = ((Get-ItemProperty -Path "hklm:SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core" -Name "Datapath").DataPath) + "PRTG Configuration.dat"
   [xml] $configuration = New-Object -TypeName XML;
         $configuration.Load($ConfigurationFilePath)

[System.Collections.ArrayList]$ADEnabledGroups = @();
[System.Collections.ArrayList]$ADEnabledDevices  = @();

$Groups = ($configuration.SelectNodes("//group"))
$Devices = ($configuration.SelectNodes("//device"))

foreach($Device in $Devices){
    if($device.data.discoverytype.trim() -ne 0)
    { $ADEnabledDevices.Add($device.id); }
}

foreach($Group in $Groups){
    if($group.data.discoverytype.trim() -ne 0)
    { $ADEnabledGroups.Add($group.id); }
}

if($ADEnabledDevices.Count -eq 0)
{ $DeviceMsg = "No devices with AutoDiscovery found." }
else
{ $DeviceMsg = [string]::Format("Devices with AutoDiscovery found: {0} ({1})",$ADEnabledDevices.Count,$ADEnabledDevices -join ", ") }

if($ADEnabledGroups.Count -eq 0)
{ $GroupMsg = "No groups with AutoDiscovery found." }
else
{ $GroupMsg = [string]::Format("Groups with AutoDiscovery found: {0} ({1})",$ADEnabledGroups.Count,$ADEnabledGroups -join ", ") }

$Msg = [string]::Format("{0} | {1}",$GroupMsg,$DeviceMsg);
$Count = $ADEnabledGroups.Count + $ADEnabledDevices.Count;

Write-Host ([string]::Format("{0}:{1}",$Count,$Msg))

Note
Since the script checks the configuration, it will take 10 minutes until a configuration change (i.e. an activated auto discovery) will be noticed.

Note that you need to set a limit, preferrably to an upper error limit of 0. Save it to <PRTG>/Custom Sensors/EXE/find-autodiscoveries.ps1 and create a new EXE/Script sensor. Select the script and it should run. Will look somewhat like this:

Created on Aug 2, 2016 7:43:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 29, 2017 8:26:28 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This original thread is really old, but what is the easiest way to turn off all of the auto-discovery options in the most recent version of PRTG (just installed PRTG Network Monitor 17.2.31.1977) and want to turn off everything so I can just manually define 3 sensors and use the free version. thanks

Mark

Created on May 17, 2017 3:13:26 PM

Votes:

Hi quickslip,

If you already installed PRTG, the best approach is to delete the Network Discovery group which will be automatically created due to the initial auto-discovery. Please note, that this will delete each sensor, device and group underneath, so it's only recommended in the very beginning.

If PRTG is not installed yet, you can run the installation file from the command line adding the parameter /NoInitialAutoDisco=1 to disable the intial auto-discovery. Please find an overview over all command line codes here.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Created on May 18, 2017 11:16:09 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In the script referenced in the knowledgebase (find-autodiscoveries.ps1) there is a code snippet:

foreach($Device in $Devices){ if($device.data.discoverytype.trim() -ne 0) { $ADEnabledDevices.Add($device.id); } }

My question is the return values for the discoverytype - I have looked extensively through the documentation to see if I can see what the possible return values are (possibly allowing a switch statement instead of a simple if) but they are nowhere that I can find.

Are the values simple 0 - autodiscovery off and 1- autodiscovery on ? What I am trying to do is tune the sensor so that it only shows me autodiscoveries that are ongoing (ie: no single run first discoveries).

Created on Nov 29, 2017 6:01:47 PM

Last change on Nov 29, 2017 8:26:53 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The script doesn't check for currently running, they're triggered for the corresponding object and are not stored in the config. You can just differentiate the various type of configured auto discovery types.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support

Created on Nov 30, 2017 10:14:24 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

PRTG Will not add a global auto-discovery disable because then loads of people would use it to the 100 probe free limit. As it stands most echs have much more than that on their networks and therefore after the 30 day free trial your 100 free probes will be swamped and the license void. Lame.

Created on Nov 22, 2018 9:45:37 PM

Votes:

There is no default global auto discovery that runs all the time (apart from the Network Discovery group, which is deletable). The initial Auto Discovery is to enable all administrators installing PRTG have a quick start within their network without having to configure it all manually (and potentially forget about that disk sensor on the mail server).

Just to be clear, even that initial auto discovery can be disabled by simply pausing or deleting the Network Discovery group. The script I posted back then is to find Discoveries that were configured, but forgotten about.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 23, 2018 7:01:43 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 23, 2018 7:28:19 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

we have the same request... please make a setting that disables all auto-discovery functions.

Created on Apr 2, 2019 2:05:32 PM

Votes:

That won't happen I'm afraid. The flag NoInitialAutoDisco when running the installer initially is sufficient for most of our customers. And the script posted in this thread should help you find "malicious" discoveries :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 3, 2019 9:24:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

we have now a new installation from PRTG and this auto discovery is just horrible in a enterprise environment. I have uninstalled and reinstalled PRTG and now I needed to disable the services for the second time.

Please advise how to install it with completely now auto discovery enabled?

Thank you and kind regards Manfred

Created on Apr 8, 2019 8:31:35 AM

Votes:

Please start the installer from an administrative command line with the parameter
/NoInitialAutoDisco=1

The initial auto discovery will then be skipped.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 8, 2019 8:46:52 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 8, 2019 8:47:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Paessler Support, Just wondering if there is a way to search for AutoDiscoveries that are SCHEDULED to run on something other than "Once". I see this script is searching for ADEnabledDevices and $ADEnabledGroups which is great, but any device or group created with an AutoDiscovery initially will be displayed (on our Core with 7444 devices, this results in 7200+ devices and groups being listed by this script).

Is there a parameter that we can replace in the script such as $ADSchedule or something like that to identify groups/devices that have AutoDiscoveries scheduled to run on something other than "Once"? And then if there is, which values correspond to the four values in the GUI of "Once," "Hourly," "Daily," and "Weekly"? Ideally we would like to search on all values except "Once".

Thanks, Todd

Created on Oct 14, 2021 3:09:23 PM

Votes:

Hey Todd,

I've updated the script accordingly to allow for filtering combined with the discovery types and schedules. Feel free to remove what you don't need from types and schedules , but ensure proper syntax :)

[string] $ConfigurationFilePath = ((Get-ItemProperty -Path "hklm:SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core" -Name "Datapath").DataPath) + "PRTG Configuration.dat"
   [xml] $configuration = New-Object -TypeName XML;
         $configuration.Load($ConfigurationFilePath)

[System.Collections.ArrayList]$ADEnabledGroups = @();
[System.Collections.ArrayList]$ADEnabledDevices  = @();

$discoveryTypes = @(  
    "1",  # standard discovery
    "2",  # template based
    "3"   # detailed discovery
    ) 

$discoverySchedules = @(
    "0", # once
    "1", # hourly
    "2", # daily
    "3"  # weekly
)

$Groups = ($configuration.SelectNodes("//group"))
$Devices = ($configuration.SelectNodes("//device"))

foreach($Device in $Devices){
    if($discoveryTypes.Contains($device.data.discoverytype.trim()) -and ($discoverySchedules.Contains($device.data.discoveryschedule.trim())))
    { $ADEnabledDevices.Add($device.id); }
}

foreach($Group in $Groups){
    if($discoveryTypes.Contains($group.data.discoverytype.trim()) -and ($discoverySchedules.Contains($group.data.discoveryschedule.trim())))
    { $ADEnabledGroups.Add($group.id); }
}

if($ADEnabledDevices.Count -eq 0)
{ $DeviceMsg = "No devices with AutoDiscovery found." }
else
{ $DeviceMsg = [string]::Format("Devices with AutoDiscovery found: {0} ({1})",$ADEnabledDevices.Count,$ADEnabledDevices -join ", ") }

if($ADEnabledGroups.Count -eq 0)
{ $GroupMsg = "No groups with AutoDiscovery found." }
else
{ $GroupMsg = [string]::Format("Groups with AutoDiscovery found: {0} ({1})",$ADEnabledGroups.Count,$ADEnabledGroups -join ", ") }

$Msg = [string]::Format("{0} | {1}",$GroupMsg,$DeviceMsg);
$Count = $ADEnabledGroups.Count + $ADEnabledDevices.Count;

Write-Host ([string]::Format("{0}:{1}",$Count,$Msg))

Created on Oct 15, 2021 7:44:21 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.