What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How does spikes removal work?

Votes:

I have a sensor that is powershell script that returns temperature by parsing web page of some meteostation on a public internet.

It sometimes returns a bad high value like "0" or "255" and all other values in the last days are from -17 to -4

So do enter spike filtering with maximum -4 and minimum 20 and wait. It never filters out the spikes, they are still there and the system has hardly 20 sensors (at 1 minute intervals) on i7 machine, so it cant take long to process them.

filtering powershell spike

Created on Dec 3, 2010 10:29:40 AM

Last change on Dec 6, 2010 10:05:46 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Using Spike Filters

You can add spike filters in a sensor's channel settings. Each filter is valid for the selected channel only. Spike filters are active immediately after saving. They are applied to historic and live data in both tables and graphs.

• Enter a number into the Spike Filter Max. Value. Values above this value will be disregarded.
  • Enter a number into the Spike Filter Min. Value field. Values below this value will be disregarded.

As you're using negative values, please try to exchange the two numbers.

See Also

Why do I see huge peaks or spikes in graphs for SNMP sensors?

Created on Dec 6, 2010 10:12:54 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Dec 14, 2010 1:12:30 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.