What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How we can keep the traffic max on the average graph

Votes:

Hi,

When we get value every 30 or 60 seconds, we get also some max of traffic.

We would like to keep these max value of traffic on the 2, 30, 365 days tab.

Because the 2, 30, 365 days average crushes the value and we lost the maximum traffic shape.

We would like to replace NAGIOS with Paessler Network Monitor in many customers, but we can configure NAGIOS to keep these maximum.

Can we configure Network Monitor to keep it ?

Best regards Bernard Brigliano

average max traffic

Created on Dec 3, 2010 10:42:39 AM

12 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid the averaging of the Min/Max-Values cannot be changed/disabled (in the moment).

Best Regards.

Created on Dec 3, 2010 1:47:59 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news on this.?

Can one of the following be done now or implemented in next PRTG release

• Historical data with no interval up to 365 days (currently 40 days)
  • Disable averaging when showing sensor graphs.
  • Show highest value on sensor graph during a hour, day or month instead of averageing them out

So why is this so important?

When messuring bandwidth on network equipment the usage can change A LOT. And the most interesting is the peak workload periods.

Created on Dec 23, 2011 11:54:08 AM

Last change on Dec 24, 2011 10:10:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry, but the situation is still the same, no changes planned for this in the near future. Please be aware that the last request to this was now one full year ago. There are simply a lot of other things requested much more often.

Created on Dec 24, 2011 10:12:03 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any plans to implement this in the near future? We would need it to completely replace our other monitoring servers like Solarwinds.

We need the maximum value for an hour for example for proper traffic dimensioning.

thansk.

Created on Jul 2, 2012 3:13:40 PM

Votes:

In order to view the raw data you would need to use the "Sensors -> View Historic Data" option. Data provided in graphs over time is always averaged and, currently, there are no plans to change the way this data is presented / provided.

Created on Jul 2, 2012 3:24:50 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I would also like to request the max values be retained in longer-interval graphs.

Perhaps as an option - a "max" option in addition to the "averaged" option.

Created on Dec 19, 2012 2:54:34 AM

Votes:

I would also like to request the option for the user to turn off automatic averaging or at least be able to choose another value rather than being locked in at a maximum of 40 days to be able to view the non average data. If I select the option of "No Interval(Display Raw Data)" for a time range greater than 40 days then I would expect it to be so and not for the software to do automatic averaging when I am not telling it to do so.

Created on Nov 8, 2013 4:31:12 PM

Votes:

Seeing as this is an overload protection mechanism, I'm afraid that is not possible. Sorry.

Created on Nov 12, 2013 1:07:20 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I would like to add myself to this request. Without the option to retain max values on historical graphs I cannot rely on PRTG graphs for network utilization monitoring. As explained, the most important value for network troubleshooting / capacity planning is the max values. If a 1G link is being 100% utilized for short periods which can create network cogenstion and latency problem, this fact can become invisible in 2 days / 30 days graphs. I can easily do it with Cacti. Why is it not possible to add it in PRTG?

PS Another nice feature for graphs is zoom with mouse selection (again, available in Cacti)

Thanks

Created on Mar 23, 2014 10:45:19 AM

Votes:

For us, too, it would be helpfull to see absolute values instead of averaged ones.

As Patrick Hutter suggested on July 2, 2012, I tried "Sensors -> View Historic Data", which was a helpful hint. But like mentioned above (e. g. by ITNet) it would be great to get all historic data in "raw" format, not only the last 40 days.

I took notice of Patrick Hutter's post, where he explains this as being an "overload protection mechanism", and the manual, which mentions performance reasons. Nevertheless it would be a usefull feature.

P.S. When viewing historic data via the "Historic data" tab on some sensor's page PRTG's behaviour differed from my expectation in one point: Channels which are deselected are not shown in the graphic, but their data is in the table underneath the graphic. The manual says "PRTG shows only the data of selected data in the report." (Yes, there are two "data"s in that sentence. Manual p. 147 as of November 2015)

I would like either the data of the deselected channels not being contained in the table or an appropriate hint in the manual. (Preferably the first option.)

Best regards

Created on Jan 19, 2016 1:41:19 PM

Votes:

I too need this feature. Averages frequently don't help when trying to troubleshoot an issue.

Created on Feb 28, 2019 9:42:50 AM

Votes:

I would recommend to post this as a public feature request, see here for details.

Created on Feb 28, 2019 2:15:08 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.