New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Hyper-V cluster

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Got a Hyper-V cluster that needs monitoring. Problem is that when a guest is moved to another host, it shows as failed on one node, and does not show up on the other node before next autodiscover

guest hyper-v monitor

Created on Jan 7, 2011 10:10:03 AM by  Tom Heskestad (0) 1

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

PRTG now supports monitoring of Virtual Machines which were moved by Live Migration. Use the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor with the System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) as parent device and the monitoring will continue after the VM changed the physical host.

Do also have a look at our manual for further information.

Created on Aug 14, 2014 11:42:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

13 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

vMotion on HyperV is not yet sported by the sensors, sorry.

Created on Jan 9, 2011 6:16:37 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Any plans for this in the future?

Created on Jan 10, 2011 8:22:19 AM by  Tom Heskestad (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We have it on our wishlist, but no target date has been set yet.

Created on Jan 11, 2011 4:43:10 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (10,869) 3 4

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This would be a huge benefit to our company if this worked properly with failover clustering...

I understand no target date has been set, however, is there anyway we can get any more details on what are the chances of this being implemented in the next 3 - 6 Months?

Created on Jan 26, 2011 5:01:54 AM by  Wappo (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Not very likely, but I also can't say this with certainty. Sorry.

Created on Jan 26, 2011 1:28:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Just to keep the interest going... I''m running into the same "problem".

Any news on a target date?

Created on Apr 7, 2011 9:19:57 AM by  Martijn Maasland (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Count me as another with this issue.

Created on Apr 15, 2011 4:08:31 PM by  Geoff Van Brunt (0) 1

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

PRTG now supports monitoring of Virtual Machines which were moved by Live Migration. Use the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor with the System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) as parent device and the monitoring will continue after the VM changed the physical host.

Do also have a look at our manual for further information.

Created on Aug 14, 2014 11:42:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

And if you have two hyper-v servers in a cluster without SCVMM? I would say that is the most common situation in smaller companies.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 8:20:25 AM by  martinw (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I am afraid that this is not possible at the moment, sorry.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 12:54:27 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I'm running into a similar situation. We have a 3 node hyper-v cluster with on SCVMM. I just live migrated a guest server and the sensors seemed to work. However, when I look into the CPU usage... the numbers seemed to be off, like it is reporting from another server. How do I properly monitor guest VMs without SCVMM?

Created on Feb 22, 2016 10:05:00 PM by  MannyL (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I also have Hyper-V cluster without SCVMM and we are not planning to implement it. I am wondering if anyone had implement creative hack to follow health and availability.

I guess we could have a sensor that claim everything's fine if one of two other sensors is up. Can we monitor sensors in PRTG?

Created on Mar 7, 2017 2:49:37 PM by  danchoui (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Dan,

I'm sorry, there is no native sensor and there are no known custom scripts yet.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 8, 2017 12:17:01 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.