What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can you update the comments on multiple sensors at one time?

Votes:

We are wanting to add troubleshooting tips to multiple identical sensor comments, and would like to update them all at one time.

comments prtg sensor

Created on Mar 1, 2010 9:32:18 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG has a built-in multi-edit feature, but I'm afraid you cannot use it for changing multiple comments.

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 7.x

Manipulating the Configuration XML File is Not Recommended!

You could, however, edit the XML file containing your PRTG configuration to change the comments of multiple objects.

Please note that we do not recommend such file manipulations and that we cannot support you with this. In any case you should keep a proper backup of your configuration and data files!

• Make sure that there already is a comment for at least one sensor (or device) in your configuration
  • Stop all PRTG services (otherwise your changes won't be saved)
  • Locate your PRTG Configuration.dat file (see How and where does PRTG store its data?)
  • Backup and open the file in a text editor.
  • In the file, search for the <comments> section and locate a sensor's (or device's) comment. Adapt the XML pattern to update your other sensors (or devices) accordingly.
  • Save your changes and restart PRTG services.

Created on Mar 2, 2010 8:27:27 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 2, 2010 8:28:12 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hey, I would love to see this ability built into the product, I have about 40 sensors I need to update with comments and would love to see this implemented.

Created on Jun 6, 2013 5:47:23 PM

Votes:

This would be awesome. I can bulk edit many other things, still not the comment field though. If you include this it would make my life so much easier.

Created on Jun 2, 2016 3:37:57 PM

Votes:

I do this all the time.

Have a look here https://thedomainiown.wordpress.com/prtg-related/prtg-relatedprtg-admin-module-function-list/

I don't have an example of it, but between Get-prtgSensorInGroup and Set-prtgDeviceProperty you can make it work

pseudo code would look like

foreach (Get-prtgSensorInGroup | where {$_.tags -contains "mycustomtag"})
{
  Set-prtgDeviceProperty $_.id "Comments" "NewValue"
}

Created on Jun 5, 2016 12:33:53 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.