What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can PRTG monitor printer status and alerts?

Votes:

Any state like paper jam / low-toner / no-toner / low paper / no paper.

Regards

notifications printer prtg sensor snmp snmp-library

Created on Mar 5, 2010 11:44:24 AM

Last change on Mar 5, 2010 1:16:47 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I have converted the Printer-MIB to a PRTG Library... You can find it at the following link

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw-5vF0A5XayNjRlYTk1ZmUtZDNkOS00MGVjLWEwZTktYjJkN2Y5OWZmY2I4&hl=en

Hope this helps someone... Most network printers let you monitor way more information then you really need. Good luck sifting through this...

• prt input current level: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.8.2.1.1]
  • prt input status: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.8.2.1.1]
  • prt marker supplies level: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.11.1.1.1]
  • prt output remaining capacity: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.9.2.1.1]

The above are some of the OIDs I find useful to monitor. I do monitor a lot of other values however and monitored values vary by printer make and model.

- Andrew

Created on Apr 17, 2010 2:08:15 AM

Last change on Apr 19, 2010 11:53:16 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Votes:

Monitoring Printers With SNMP

If your printer supports SNMP, you can monitor its status. The kind of information provided depends on your printer. Your printer's return values should be numeric.

To set up the monitoring, you have to find an MIB file for your device and use MIB Importer to convert it to an *.oidlib file that works with PRTG. Please see Finding MIB Files and Using MIB Importer for more details.

Once converted, you can create a printer device in the PRTG web interface and set up an SNMP Library sensor on it, using your new oidlib file. Please note that this will only work for the counters that give back numeric values. String values won't be shown.

To use SNMP counters that return string values, please use an SNMP Custom String sensor and enter the OID value for your printer's counter manually (add one sensor for each counter).

You can also use the natively available SNMP HP LaserJet Hardware sensor and the Windows Print Queue sensor.

Monitoring Printers Using the Printer's Web Interface

As alternative: If your printer provides a web page with status messages, you can consider monitoring this web page for certain key words (for example "low toner" or similar) using an HTTP Advanced sensor. This, however, depends very much on the structure and information given on your printer's web page, so we cannot give you further assistance with that.

More

For more background information, please see SNMP, MIBs and OIDs - an Overview.

Created on Mar 5, 2010 12:35:28 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 15, 2013 5:10:33 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I have converted the Printer-MIB to a PRTG Library... You can find it at the following link

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw-5vF0A5XayNjRlYTk1ZmUtZDNkOS00MGVjLWEwZTktYjJkN2Y5OWZmY2I4&hl=en

Hope this helps someone... Most network printers let you monitor way more information then you really need. Good luck sifting through this...

• prt input current level: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.8.2.1.1]
  • prt input status: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.8.2.1.1]
  • prt marker supplies level: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.11.1.1.1]
  • prt output remaining capacity: [1.3.6.1.2.1.43.9.2.1.1]

The above are some of the OIDs I find useful to monitor. I do monitor a lot of other values however and monitored values vary by printer make and model.

- Andrew

Created on Apr 17, 2010 2:08:15 AM

Last change on Apr 19, 2010 11:53:16 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hello! Is library right for printer HP 2727nf? May I use this? Because I made ​​the necessary steps, but can not find the sensor of quantity toner in printer cartridge.

Regards

Created on Jul 12, 2011 10:41:36 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.