What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Dell OpenManage trough SNMP

Votes:

Hi,

We have several hunderds of Dell servers. We would like to monitor the hardware trough SNMP with several openmanage checks.

I know there is a snmp library of dell included in PRTG. But this gives me 1000 (!) checks with a big part not working. This is not workable.

So to clarify what i want is that i want to read out the health of my dell server with sensors information available from snmp.

Can Paessler build in this support or supply a decent set of sensor available?

dell omsa openmanage snmp

Created on Jun 29, 2011 2:05:43 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12.x.4 or later

Monitoring Dell Servers

As of PRTG 12.x.4, there are two sensors natively available for Dell PowerEdge servers:

Both sensor types make use of Dell OpenManage Server Administrator. Alternatively, you can monitor Dell servers via iDRAC. Please see this article for details.

In addition, you can monitor Dell hardware devices with the SNMP Dell Hardware Sensor.

Using Dell SNMP Library

You can alternatively use an SNMP library based on the Dell MIB with the SNMP Library Sensor, e.g., in previous PRTG versions:

It is a library that we have extracted out of the Dell MIB. It will create only a couple of sensors.

DellSystems OIDLIB File: Download DellSystems.zip

Steps to Go

Please download the file above, unzip it and and place the OID library in the "snmplibs" folder in you PRTG Network Monitor program directory.

Then add SNMP Library sensors to your Dell servers using that library.

Details: PRTG Manual: SNMP Library Sensor

Notes

• OpenManage needs to be installed on the server you want to monitor to enable the SNMP counters.
  • Only integers are returned as values. So for disk or raid status only integers are returned, but you can check the meaning of the returned values when opening the OID library in our free MIB Importer.

Created on Jul 1, 2011 12:57:29 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 2, 2013 4:16:11 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We use now the dellsystems.oidlib. Is ther anybody in the kb with an complete description and Alert-definition of the values?

Perhaps another oidlib with some sensors more...? But not the complete 1001 sensors?

thx...

Created on Apr 25, 2012 2:11:58 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.