What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom WMI sensor with multiple channels?

Votes:

Hello PRTG Team,

I'd like to create a custom WMI sensor. WMI script looks like this:

select bytesreceivedpersec, bytessentpersec from Win32_PerfformattedData_Tcpip_NetworkInterface where name Like '%broadcom%'

(yes i know you got a similiar sensors among your build-in ones)

PRTG tells that there are to many fields.

If I just select "bytesreceivedpersec" however, the script runs fine. Do I have to create two sensors to get bytesreceivedpersec and bytessentpersec?

Actually I thought that's what channels are for... to label multiple return values properly? Yet I can only create one channel for each sensor created.

regards

Christian

channel custom fields multiple script wmi

Created on Aug 23, 2011 3:18:50 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear Christan,

yes, in the moment you have to create two WMI Custom Sensors, each one getting one result. This can't be changed in the moment. You can then however use the Sensor Factory to display the results in one graph.

best regards.

Created on Aug 23, 2011 3:51:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Thorsten,

thanks for your reply. OK.. that sort of worked, but how can I prevent devices from being cluttered up with sensors I've combined with the Sensor Factory? I can't seem to find an option to hide certain sensors.

In my example above.. I got a sensor for incoming traffic, outgoing traffic and the combined traffic of them both. Can I hide the traffic incoming & outgoing sensors so the only one visible is the combined one?

regards

Christian

Created on Sep 13, 2011 2:38:46 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid hiding the source sensors is not possible, except if you would setup and use a user in PRTG which only has specific access to the sensor factory sensors.

Created on Sep 13, 2011 4:34:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Will the multi-channel custom WMI sensor feature available in the near future?

Created on May 31, 2018 11:52:15 AM

Votes:

As of right now, it's not planned.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 31, 2018 12:08:16 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Add my vote to get a multi channel wmi sensor....

Created on Feb 2, 2019 8:10:33 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid that due to the very low demand for that, combined with the rather complex implementation of such a sensor, it won't happen anytime soon. However, you could use PowerShell to query WMI objects with our Custom Advanced Sensors, have them execute multiple queries (or just one) and evaluate it accordingly.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 5, 2019 3:18:50 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 19, 2022 3:09:19 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.