What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Time-based Acknowledge

Votes:

PRTG 9 seems to have introduced the concept of acknowledging an alert for a period of time (e.g. 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours etc.)

Unfortunately, a flapping sensor will reset this acknowledgement every time it reports "up", which kinda defeats the purpose.

I'd have expected to see a sensor acknowledged for a period of time no longer alert during that time. A sensor acknowledged for ever, would stay acknowledged until it comes up.

e.g.: Acknowledge for 1 hour Acknowledge for 3 hours Acknowledge for 12 hours Acknowledge until sensor returns to "up"

(all of the time-based alerts would not clear this acknowledgement until the expire or are manually removed)

Any thoughts around this?

Daern

acknowledge alert alerts time

Created on Oct 20, 2011 9:31:19 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Stuart,

I'm sorry but Acknowledging in our minds should always only apply to the very current alarm. The next one could be of a very different sort. Just think of the situation of the first alarm being raised by an error-limit on a disk sensor (which is slowly getting filled) and then the next alarm about the disk (or the entire server being down) and then this being your Exchange Server.

best regards.

Created on Oct 20, 2011 12:53:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the reply.

In the case you gave, you may choose to acknowledge a glitching disk-space sensor for 12 hours but if the whole server went down, one of the other (ping?) alerts would pick up on this. (i.e. you wouldn't "acknowledge" a whole server!)

I think I've seen other people asking similar things about sensors where a straight "up / down" does not always happen and when you acknowledge a flapping sensor for a period of time, but it begins alerting again within a few minutes, it can be unintuitive from a functionality point of view.

Perhaps giving users an option here, would be worth considering. I know that it's something that we would greatly value!

Regards,

Stuart

Created on Oct 20, 2011 1:10:35 PM

Votes:

I agree that this is would be useful for certain sensors. For example, if I set limits on CPU with a high of 95% and the server is bouncing off that, causing flapping, then I would like to acknowledge it for x amount of time. I investigate the server/sensor still, but I don't want red/down appearing over and over if it is bouncing off my limits.

If after x amount of time it is still flapping, then I would dive in deeper.

Created on Nov 27, 2012 3:20:18 PM

Votes:

Are there any news on this?

This behaviour is really annoying in certain situations, like a) with sensors that flap above/beyond a certain treshold or b) while some planned maintenance is going on.

Pausing the sensor ist not really an option because then there is no monitoring at all. Not having a possibility to see the state UP/WARNING/DOWN of a sensor but temporarily deactivating all sending notifiations for a certain amount of time is a major downside of PRTG...

Created on Sep 14, 2022 9:26:04 AM

Votes:

Hello,

this is still the current behavior. If you want this implemented as a feature I would recommend to write a Feature Request

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Sep 21, 2022 7:55:19 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.