What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why do dependencies stop working when I pause an object?

Votes:

I have several 'ping' on servers set as 'master object for parent' (so every alarm on the server won't pop up when I loose connection to it, just ping) - But if I right click on ping and pause it, all the dependent objects send off alarms again.

Anyone know if this is a error or something I can fix with settings?

dependencies pause ping

Created on Oct 31, 2011 12:14:12 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Actually, the dependencies do not stop working, but work as designed. We know that this may be subject of personal preference, but as of now we have no intention to change it.

See this Knowledge Base article to read what the reasons are: Why will dependent objects not go into paused status automatically when I pause the master object?

Created on Nov 2, 2011 4:47:56 PM by  Roland Grau [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 25, 2017 2:17:11 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Rather than have an either/or, how about an aditional pause option? I.e. "pause and pause dependencies". It can be a real pain to have to pause (and later unpause) all an objects dependancies.

Created on Dec 8, 2011 4:29:03 AM

Votes:

I'd recommend to set the according 'master sensor' simply to a simulated error-state (and possibly then acknowledge it right away) as this will trigger the dependency.

Created on Dec 8, 2011 4:06:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The problem with that suggestion is that it is reflected in the statistics for the master interface and, depending on the circumstances, that may not be what we want.

Created on Dec 10, 2011 6:16:43 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.