What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disable Monitoring for Maintenance

Votes:

Whats the "BestPractice" to disable Notification for specific Devices for an specific Time for only one Time (Maintenance Window)

We want to install Windows Updates and restart afterwards specific Devices at an specific Time (2am on the Weekend) and want to disable the Notification in this time for theses Devices.

Greetings

devices disable notifications prtg schedule

Created on Apr 9, 2010 6:41:14 AM

Last change on Apr 9, 2010 9:43:19 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

32 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later, as well as partly to previous (deprecated) versions

Using Maintenance Windows to Prevent False Alarms

PRTG has a setting Maintenance Window for groups, probes, devices, and sensors that allows you to pause an object's monitoring within a defined time span.

Using Schedules to Prevent False Alarms

PRTG supports a schedule concept. Using schedules you can pause monitoring and/or notifications at specific days and hours throughout the week. During a pause, no notifications will be sent.

You can define several schedules with different time frames. To do so, enter the PRTG web interface and go to Setup | Account Settings | Schedules. Once defined, the schedules can be used in the settings of any notification defined (Setup | Account Settings | Notifications), as well as in the settings of groups, probes, devices, and sensors.

• If you want a scheduled pause for notifications of specific devices only, use a separate notification with an own schedule for these devices.
  • Once a schedule is connected with a certain notification or monitoring object, you can also change this schedule's settings later on. This will then affect all notifications and objects connected with this schedule.

See Also

Created on Apr 9, 2010 9:13:22 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 14, 2014 5:49:21 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The schedule does not appear to allow scheduling for a specific future date. E.g. one time on Saturday, Feb. 5th. Is there no provision to allow a one-time, specific outage period, after which the schedule returns to normal?

Thanks.

Created on Jan 19, 2011 6:17:00 PM

Votes:

Sorry, currently, only re-occurring schedules can be defined.

Created on Jan 20, 2011 10:55:14 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Now that PRTG v9 has now been released, can you please confirm if PRTG is still unable to perform the simple task of a once-off maintenance window for a specific date?

I get notice emails from my various network providers advising they are doing maintenance in 2-3 weeks time for various links and currently I have to manually put a reminder into my calendar to set a 1-day-long pause in PRTG just to avoid PRTG-generated outage alerts (the windows are usually somewhere between midnight to 3am). This causes issues as it can miss legitimate outages that are now part of the maintenance window.

The ability to perform this once-off maintenance window for a specific date has been available in all other monitoring tools I have used over the last few years, and is sorely missed in PRTG.

Cheers,

Created on Oct 5, 2011 5:05:59 AM

Votes:

In PRTG 9 you can define schedules like this:

Use the syntax ww:hh:mm-ww:hh:mm to define a start-end period when a sensor/notification should be inactive. 'ww' is a two letter shortcut for the weekday (Monday-Sunday: mo,tu,we,th,fr,sa,su). 'hh' and 'mm' define the hour (in 24 hour format, no AM/PM allowed) respectively the minute. So 'fr:17:00-mo:09:00' means a scheduled pause from Friday 17:00 (5:00pm) until Monday 9:00(am)

We will look into the option to also supply a specific date instead of a weekday, too.

Created on Oct 5, 2011 7:52:22 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your update. Am I correct in understanding that your suggestion above would result in a schedule (Friday 5pm to Monday 9am) that would re-occur *each week* ?

Re-occurrence of this maintenance window is what I, and the original poster technik, are trying to avoid.

If you could please look to add a specific date as you mention above, that would be most appreciated! For me personally, once the window for the specified date has passed, I would expect the maintenance window to be automatically removed/deleted so it doesnt clog up the list of normal schedules that may be applied to the device/group etc.

Thanks again for your help!

Created on Oct 6, 2011 5:07:52 AM

Votes:

Probably an ever better method than not-re-occuring schedules would be the possibility to set a Sensor to Pause not only 'until' but also 'from' some specific date/time.

Wether via scheduling or via pause: Our Operations Teams would be very glad if you can provide a mechanism with which they can register a maintenance window several weeks ahead...

Created on Dec 5, 2011 1:09:13 PM

Votes:

I'm just going to add another request for this feature. We have a one-time scheduled maintenance coming up in a few weeks, and it would be very convenient to be able to say "Pause all sensors in this group on June 9, 12:00-8:00 a.m."

The need to create a new recurring schedule, move the sensors to the new schedule the week before the work, and then move them back after the work is over is cumbersome at best.

Created on May 11, 2012 4:52:17 PM

Votes:

We apply patches on the 2nd Friday night of every month. It would be helpful if we could create a schedule with that parameter. Currently we either need to exclude every Friday night, or change the schedules for the affected servers the day patches are installed.

Created on Jul 27, 2012 8:28:25 PM

Votes:

Here's an example of what we're talking about. This is a request I just received:

"Can you please suspend monitoring on <foo> this Wednesday evening between 8 and 10 pm?

We need to free up some space on our development box and will have <foo> down during this period."

I get requests like this frequently, and I haven't found an easy way to do this. The server in question already has a regular schedule associated with it. I need to edit the schedule, wait until Wedneday is over, and then change it back (and hope I don't forget!).

Created on Jul 30, 2012 9:04:49 PM

Votes:

PRTG now has a setting "Maintenance Window" for groups and devices that allows you to pause an object's monitoring between date1/time1 and date2/time2.

Created on Nov 23, 2012 10:05:47 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Awesome! Thanks! I'll definitely be using this feature. But I haven't been able to find where it is. Is the maintenance window setting available in version 12.4.6.3230 (which is our current version), or do I need to upgrade to the preview release? (12.4.6.3341?)

Created on Nov 30, 2012 6:44:24 PM

Votes:

hello,

this is not yet available in the stable version, sorry. It will be available in the preview version next week and then it will take a little time before it is available in the stable version, sorry.

Created on Dec 3, 2012 10:41:45 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have upgraded to PRTG 12.4.6.3385 [Preview], but I don't see the maintenance window setting. Can you help me find it? Or do I need to try a different version?

Created on Feb 6, 2013 4:35:49 PM

Votes:

Hi,
the most recent Preview Version is 13.1.1.1161.
Please update to the mentioned version and you should be able to use the maintenance function.
Best regards

Created on Feb 6, 2013 6:29:36 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, We are using release 13.4.7.3706+.

We have about 7,000 sensors set up and it would be a large amount of trouble to go back and configure maintenance schedules on them, especially since we do not always perform maintenance on a predictable schedule.

I would like to see a feature where we can still monitor the state of a sensor in the web interface, but prevent Alerts or Notifications being sent out via email or SMS.

This way, we could rapidly see when a host is fully ready to serve after a reboot (or detect that it has not fully restored) during a maintenance window - without alarms getting sent out. My understanding is that we cannot see the true state of a host while the sensor is in a paused (blue) state.

Of course, some sort of safety feature would also need to be built in so that it was clear when a sensor was in a "monitoring but not alerting" state to prevent operator error.

Thank you, Kirk

Created on Dec 24, 2013 9:27:48 PM

Votes:

If you wanted to monitor without notifications being sent, you can set up the notifications on a schedule so that during that time the notification would be disabled. If you used the same notifications for all the sensors affected, they would go into an alarm state but they would not send the notification.

Created on Dec 26, 2013 11:49:46 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If a "One-Time Maintenance Window" has been set on a sensor, how can I check it? Also how can I clear it if it is no longer needed?

Created on Sep 28, 2014 10:47:17 PM

Votes:

Martin, it's not possible to filter for objects that have a one-time-maintenance window set, in the moment. This is on the wish list.
Disabling the Maintenance Window can be done by just switching back to "Not set" in the according option.

Created on Sep 30, 2014 7:42:53 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

There is no Option "Not Set" in the latest version, and by the way -please when a Maintenance Window is set, add a new Point in the Context Menu like "Show existing Maintenance Windows", otherwise this function is useless, because if I made a mistake or will check if someone already set a Maintenance Window, I have no possibility to see existing or correct mistaken entries.

Cheers...

Created on Apr 10, 2015 8:19:57 AM

Votes:

I would like to request functionality to schedule on a monthly basis. For example, every 3rd Thursday or every other Fri. Any chance this will be added in the future? Thanks!

Created on Oct 12, 2015 2:21:31 PM

Votes:

Monthly Schedules are on the wishlist and please consider your request counted. An ETA or exact version has not been set though.

Created on Oct 13, 2015 6:59:34 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news on monthly schedules - it's a vital requirement for clients as most updates are run monthly.

Created on Feb 15, 2016 11:05:55 AM

Votes:

Still only on the wishlist. Sorry.

Created on Feb 15, 2016 12:02:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this still on the wishlist? Monthly Schedules

Created on Aug 23, 2016 6:29:58 PM

Votes:

Dear Conky

There are currently no plans to implement a month-based schedule. Only weekday-based schedules are possible.

We do see the request for month-based schedules, as well as for holiday support. However, this has deeper implications for the schedule manager. We are looking for other options instead, like an external manager of maintenance windows.

Created on Aug 23, 2016 8:32:46 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I have scheduled a one-time maintenance window for a Group, as opposed to adding or adjusting a current schedule, however once I go to the group after the one-time maintenance window was configured I'm unable to view this maintenance window which was configured, is this maintenance window therefore configured?

Is there plans to enable functionality, allowing one to be able to view the configured/scheduled one-time maintenance windows?

Deon

Created on Aug 25, 2016 1:53:43 AM

Votes:

Dear DeonG

I am sorry, there is no overview of one-time maintenance windows. Because with larger PRTG installation, managing maintenance windows is getting more important, we are exploring new options to manage maintenance windows.

Created on Aug 25, 2016 9:12:41 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hello,

are there any recent updates to share regarding scheduled, recurring maintenance windows?

Created on Mar 7, 2018 3:52:19 PM

Votes:

Dear ariehm,

in the case the build-in options are not flexible enough, please have a look at this custom solution.

Created on Mar 7, 2018 4:05:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As most patches are released monthly we in Operations like to also patch monthly, if we then automate our patch job we also want to schedule that Prtg doesn't send out alerts during this scheduled task.

I see that it is of great importance that we get the tool to do this.

Regards Charlie

Created on Sep 9, 2021 9:20:00 AM

Votes:

Hello Charlie,

in this case, please use the PRTG API, possibly with a powershell-script, to pause / resume the object ID of 0 ("id=0"), as this is the root node of the device tree.

Created on Sep 10, 2021 1:38:30 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 10, 2021 1:38:41 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.