What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Incorrect bandwidth being reported?

Votes:

I am currently using PRTG Network Monitor 7.3.3.5611 to monitor the bandwidth used across my WAN links using SNMP. The remote site that I am querying has a single T1 connecting to our site. Within the data for that interface, the bandwidth is showing over 2 to 3Mbit/s at different times. Since the bandwidth limit of a T1 should be a max of 1.54Mbit/s, what would be the cause for the amount to be over this?

network-bandwidth prtg snmp t1

Created on Apr 14, 2010 3:28:10 PM

Last change on Apr 15, 2010 9:27:11 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. I did run across that article after doing a little more searching and tried what was suggested, but it didn't seem to change the behavior of the data. The 'spikes' i'm getting don't appear to be as major as the ones in the article either, but it was worth a shot. I also set the 'overflow values' to ignore as suggested, but still no change either. While I don't really see any spikes, the data reported for the interface runs constantly right around or a little above(1 to 2mbit/s above) what the limit on the T1 bandwidth should be(1.544mbit/s).

Created on Apr 14, 2010 5:41:28 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Brian,

these may be spikes. Please have a look at the following article Why do I see huge peaks or spikes in graphs for SNMP sensors?.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 14, 2010 5:24:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 15, 2010 7:25:44 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. I did run across that article after doing a little more searching and tried what was suggested, but it didn't seem to change the behavior of the data. The 'spikes' i'm getting don't appear to be as major as the ones in the article either, but it was worth a shot. I also set the 'overflow values' to ignore as suggested, but still no change either. While I don't really see any spikes, the data reported for the interface runs constantly right around or a little above(1 to 2mbit/s above) what the limit on the T1 bandwidth should be(1.544mbit/s).

Created on Apr 14, 2010 5:41:28 PM

Votes:

Please open a support ticket referring to this topic. We will then request detailed information.

Created on Apr 21, 2010 3:05:56 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.