What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I want to use SNMP sensors instead of WMI sensors. What can I do?

Votes:

I have a lot of WMI sensors installed in PRTG. Due to performance reasons, I would like to replace some of them by SNMP sensors.

prtg sensors snmp snmp-informant software wmi

Created on Apr 29, 2010 7:39:47 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Monitoring Windows Computers via SNMP

In order to use SNMP sensors for advanced monitoring of computers, please consider using SNMP Informant (free version available).

This is third party software running on your computer that lets you extend the capabilities of your management system by exposing valuable Windows information to SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)—see Flash demo. It provides SNMP objects that PRTG can poll.

SNMP compared to WMI

Using SNMP, you can set up far more sensors without the risk of overloading your system, compared to WMI. This is due to the architecture of these technologies. If you decide to use SNMP Informant, however, you have to install and configure additional software on your clients. WMI uses a technology directly built into Windows and is therefore easier to start with.

If you want to monitor the Windows computers in your network, we recommend using WMI for a start. If you experience performance problems, you can try larger polling intervals or use SNMP in combination with additional software.

See Also

Created on Apr 29, 2010 7:49:02 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Apr 29, 2010 8:04:02 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hello, I understand that there is architectural difference between SNMP and WMI. can anyone put more light on what actually that architectural difference is ?

Created on Dec 19, 2014 4:53:48 AM

Votes:

Dear Shreyas Mohite

SNMP is a cross-platform standard while WMI is only available for Windows.

SNMP expects a numerical code, the OID, which identifies the value which is requested. There are some standard OID and many more hardware-specific OIDs which are usually provided with a MIB file, which is an collection of OIDs.

WMI queries can be more complex, using an SQL like approach to read values from certain tables.

Please find more information about SNMP here https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/653 and here https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/wmi_monitoring

Created on Dec 19, 2014 12:43:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 19, 2014 12:43:50 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.