What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Non alarming ping

Votes:

Is it possible to configure a ping sensor to monitor ping response time, but not set off an alarm when it is down due to no ping response?

I still want other sensors on the device to alarm, and for the device its to use the ping sensor as the master. In other words if the ping is not returning (hence the device - PC is shutdown or turned off) I don't want an alarm, I don't want to sunburst to turn red, I just want it to pause all the other sensors.

If anyone has any ideas would be great to hear.

Gerry

alarm down ping

Created on Nov 16, 2012 7:54:40 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Please see if the answers on the following posts help:

Created on Nov 19, 2012 1:02:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 28, 2019 6:25:40 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply, but neither of those solve my issue. re: Sliencing alarm without pausing.... Auto-Acknowledge only acknowledge the error - it's still in error so it shows up in error on the Sunburst, and alarm pages (For these PC, being turned on is not an error)

re: How to monitor without alarms... Creating a separate group doesn't remove those alarms from the root view of things - so they still show up in the Sunburst and Alarm pages. Plus, I want to see the status of the other sensors on the device, I just want the ping record it's ping times and to pause or unpause the other device sensors, I just don't want it to set up the error alarm if the ping goes down.

Someone else on that thread mentioned adding an option on the sensor whether it would alarm when down or not - I think that is a good idea (just also let it be used as the master object for the device so when it does go down it pauses the other sensors - just without an error alarm

Gerry

Gerry

Created on Nov 19, 2012 1:48:35 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry but these are the only options there are in the moment.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 3:26:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Out of the box, this is not possible. But a little creativity will get you there:

Create the device twice.

Once with only a PingWarning Sensor and once with all the other sensors.

When the PingWarning Sensor goes into a warning state, use the PRObject tool as a notification to pause the second instance of the device.

When the PingWarning sensor returns to normal, use the PRObject "notification" to resume the device.

Regards,

Created on Nov 19, 2012 8:43:13 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.