What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Map Designer - select multiple obejct

Votes:

I need to move all the objects in my map to create space for changed layout. Not easy to do one by one when you have very complex design. s there a way to do this ?

Thanx all

map-designer map-objects select

Created on Jan 18, 2013 10:06:00 AM

39 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

this feature is planned to be implemented in the near future!

Please bear with us.

Created on Jan 18, 2013 2:56:14 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

pls this will be very useful

Created on Jun 21, 2013 1:22:21 PM

Votes:

Hi,
Sorry, still no news on this. But the feature is still in the pipeline but no release date has been determined yet.
Best regards

Created on Jun 21, 2013 1:40:28 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I want to add my vote for this feature. PLEASE! This would be a huge help when designing/updating maps.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 7:10:29 PM

Votes:

Hi, I counted your vote for the feature mykl_74.

Best regards

Created on Jul 3, 2015 4:16:10 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This would be a really useful feature. Having to move a hundred different objects one at a time (sometimes multiple times to get it just right) is quite a chore.

I don't necessarily care about being able to edit multiple objects at once (although it would be nice), just being able to move objects would be enough.

Created on Jul 14, 2015 12:50:25 PM

Votes:

Consider your vote counted :)

Created on Jul 14, 2015 1:19:32 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

There have been at least 15 updates since this topic was last visited. Is there anything we as users can do to get this implemented? Anytime I have to update maps like this one it takes me way longer than it should:

http://i.imgur.com/tVnOouV.png

Can we get into the code of the map itself and do our own copying and pasting? I'll take just about anything that doesn't require me to click and drag a hundred different icons.

Created on Nov 25, 2015 5:12:50 PM

Votes:

The map editor will get revamped in the course of the next year. Selecting multiple objects will probably be a part of the rewrite. As always, I can't give a ETA of that.

Created on Nov 25, 2015 6:56:06 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 25, 2015 6:56:49 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on this feature? We're deploying maps extensively and updating maps is becoming a very laborious task. Thanks.

Created on Jun 14, 2016 5:05:48 PM

Votes:

Unfortunately not, sorry. Please bear with us :)

Created on Jun 15, 2016 8:32:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

my vote to add this feature! :-)

Created on Jan 23, 2017 11:34:49 AM

Votes:

Hi!

When is the important wish of 2013!! finally implemented?

Created on Aug 10, 2017 10:43:08 AM

Votes:

I wish too that this important feature will be implementet soon. This would realy help to modify a map.

Created on Aug 16, 2017 9:55:03 AM

Votes:

Hi Argast and others,

It sure is within our backlog, but it won't happen 2017. It will be implemented once the map editor gets a major overhaul, but I can't tell you when that will be.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 17, 2017 3:08:57 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Crossing My fingers also for 2018 because it would be a very good update :)

Created on Dec 8, 2017 1:57:47 PM

Votes:

Any news on this? Having to move one object at-a-time is a waste of time so we have not been able to make use of "maps" .... but need to so better editing features would help. Please!

Created on Feb 20, 2018 8:40:47 PM

Votes:

It's still on the map for our map overhaul. But there's still no ETA on this. Rest assured, we haven't forgot about that, there are just other major construction sites within PRTG we need to address first.

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 21, 2018 9:45:06 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

" Hi, this feature is planned to be implemented in the near future! Please bear with us. Created on Jan 18, 2013 2:56:14 PM by Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support] "

5 years have passed since that reply... It shouldn't take you that long to implement such a simple 'feature'. We only use your maps, nothing else but if it takes ages to create one, we have to consider finding another product and not prolong our license with you. Like seriously....more than 5 years?

Created on May 2, 2018 9:57:21 AM

Votes:

I know that it's more than subpar not having feature requests implemented for that long, but the map editor will be addressed sooner or later. It's not just implementing some fancy JavaScript and new CSS:

• Find matching components for the needs of the project
  • Create the components if none are available.
  • You'll have to make sure it doesn't break anything in the web interface
  • It has to be backwards compatible (if possible at all)
  • Requires all development departments to test extensively (Development, QA, etc.)

A lot of man hours required for that, which we are currently implementing in other areas of PRTG, as mentioned already. Grafana is something I'd recommend here as an alternative, but it doesn't have multi-select as well ;)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support

Created on May 3, 2018 12:16:27 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news regarding this, while there's an understanding you're working on other features, this really should have been implemented by now (5 years and counting)?

Created on Sep 27, 2018 1:36:36 PM

Votes:

Rest assured that we'll take the ideas of our users into consideration regarding the new map editor :)

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 28, 2018 6:05:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on this?

Created on Feb 21, 2019 12:50:02 PM

Votes:

Sorry, no news on that front. As it's a major feature, it'll be rather prominent on https://www.paessler.com/prtg/history/stable, so you won't miss it once it's out :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 21, 2019 2:25:28 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ahhh, 6 years later, still not possible. <sad trombone>

Created on Apr 18, 2019 5:09:45 PM

Votes:

Yepp, will not be implemented with the current map editor. Not sure when this will happen - sorry! :(

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 19, 2019 11:17:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 19, 2019 11:17:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, here we are in november 2020 - and I just spent 1 hour moving my 250 little icons manually like I always was. just want to kindly remind you that the option of selecting multiple objects is still as pertinent now as when it was asked for some years ago. looking forward to the annoucment that mission is accomplished, Michel Lapointe

Created on Nov 17, 2020 4:05:13 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this one up again. We're doing our best behind the scenes :) The new webinterface is being worked on extensively and hopefully, will come with a new map editor. But I can't give an ETA here I'm afraid :(

With kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Technical Support Team

Created on Nov 19, 2020 8:52:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hallo, can you specify a release date of this much needed feature (move several selected objects together in maps)? Quarter or at least the year? Best Regards

Created on Jan 20, 2021 3:13:07 PM

Votes:

Hello Tobias,

This feature won't be implemented in the current web interface of PRTG but may be integrated on the new one on which our developers are currently working on. I'm afraid that we can't provide an ETA right now.

Regards.

Created on Jan 20, 2021 3:48:42 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

8 Years have gone by and still haven't managed to implement grouping into the tool... I'm sorry, but this should be very embarrassing. Honestly, it's unacceptable. Get this done yesteryear.

Created on Jun 15, 2021 3:48:43 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Our development team finished their workshop regarding the new maps designer however I will push this feature request again to make sure that it is taken into account.

Regards.

Created on Jun 16, 2021 8:59:09 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 16, 2021 9:01:33 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

And? This is a pretty basic feature from a UI perspective. While it may be complex to implement with your technology, 8 years should be more than enough to have found a way to do this.

Created on Nov 15, 2021 4:39:59 PM

Votes:

Hello Miles,

I sincerely apologize that the feature didn't made it to the current map designer. I have forwarded the feature request to our developers as mentioned earlier.

Please, note that the current map designer has technical limitations which prevent the developers to add all requested functionalities. This is the reason why our development team worked on a new web interface which will get rid of them and make the implementation of features more easier. A new map designer is planned as well, and the developers are taking into account the feature requests we collected for it.

Regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2021 6:35:45 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I'm sorry to take back again this theme but It's been almost a decade and I just literally move around +1k little HTML boxes. Its anywhere soon an update to fix this once for all? Is annoying to manage any map in PRTG plus all the internal modifications you want to do in an HTML. I can't put the CSS on it to help make a map better visually (That's the main theme in our maps) or whatever method to make it better for a client interface. Please, I think it has been a long time with this request and you should consider seriously change the way maps work or introduce at least a pack of updates to it.

Created on May 17, 2023 7:37:40 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we have no new update on this, and this feature is not yet on our Roadmap. However, you may always refer to our Roadmap to see the selected overview of PRTG features we are currently working on or will work on in the future.

Kind regards,
Muna Azmi - Tech Support Team

Created on May 22, 2023 7:48:45 AM by  Muna Azmi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is a needed feature!

Created on Jun 8, 2023 2:58:02 PM

Votes:

Following this request and many others, not fond of posting though. After several years, I do post here, just to vent my frustration with the way PRTG handles requests. It is simply infuriating that such basic and valid requests are permanently delayed. At least be upfront and say that it will NOT be implemented...

Created on Jun 26, 2023 8:58:53 AM

Votes:

Hello,

We understand your disappointment. There are plans to develop a new Map designer for the new UI that we are currently working on. The new designer will hopefully address many of the issues and difficulties that customers encounter with the current Map designer. Unfortunately, we do not have any ETA for this, since work on it will probably not be started until the new UI is finished.

Kind regards,
Muna Azmi - Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 4, 2023 9:49:58 AM by  Muna Azmi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.