What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Exclude an IP from Auto-Discovery

Votes:

I have a group setup with the Sensor Management set to "Automatic device identification (standard, recommended)". How can I exclude a few IP addresses from this auto-discovery?

Thank you,

Joe

auto-discovery ip scan

Created on Apr 3, 2013 4:57:01 PM

14 Replies

Votes:

The only way to not have IPs be within the Auto-Discovery when you set up a group would be to use the List of IPs and DNS Names option. That way you could specify the devices within the subnet you want to have auto-discovered. If you want to leave out a block of IPs from an Auto-Discovery group, then you would need to create two separate groups.

Within the Class C base IP with start/end (IPv4) option, there is no way to specify IPs that are outside of this Auto-Discovery.

Created on Apr 4, 2013 1:08:40 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It's been a while since the last reply. Is there an update or a new way deal with this?

Created on Jun 19, 2015 5:50:53 AM

Votes:

This hasn't changed due to a lack of interest from our customers to be able to exclude single IP addresses.

Created on Jun 22, 2015 11:58:22 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are also interested in this feature. There should be a posibility to select/deselet devices by dns-name wildcards like hplj* or nb* or pc* So now the critical mass of customers is reached to implement this feature. :-)

Created on May 23, 2016 12:29:18 PM

Votes:

We are also interested. Some devices on the network, like the first 10 in our multitude of blocks of IPs, I'd like to exclude. I also have a /25 at the beginning of one of those ranges that I am not supposed to monitor. I can try to create several lists to accommodate the exclusion of a few but it seems like a decent amount of work.

This is my use case: I am asked to monitor our resources in 10.61.64.0/18 but 10.61.64.0/25 does not fall under my jurisdiction (we can talk network design in another forum) as well as the first 10 IPs in each of those blocks. It'd be nice to include the 10.61.64.0/18 and exclude 10.61.64.0/25 and 10.61.64.128-.137, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. for each block.

Thanks!

Created on Jan 17, 2017 9:48:44 PM

Votes:

Hello harperfey,
thank you very much for your KB-Post.

I did just add your "vote" to the corresponding request to our Wish list! Thank you very much for the feedback! If you'd like, please have a look at the following blog post by our CEO, explaining "How We Rate Your Feature Requests".

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Jan 18, 2017 2:02:00 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

May I also add that I would find it useful to be able to exclude blocks of IP addresses? We have a 172.16.24.0/22 network. We have blocks of addresses excluded from DHCP allocation for servers, switches, printers, wireless points,etc. The remaining ranges are used for client machines. I'd like to exclude client machines from PRTG monitoring.

Created on Feb 24, 2017 11:46:29 AM

Votes:

I would also like this feature.

Created on Apr 12, 2017 4:24:51 PM

Votes:

We would also find this feature very useful please

Created on Sep 29, 2017 8:22:05 AM

Votes:

Yes please. Having inherited an old network that was not designed (at all I think) there are all sorts of things everywhere. Part of the reason why I need a product like this...

Created on Jan 17, 2018 4:21:33 AM

Votes:

To exclude systems from the auto-discovery group, try this: - configure auto-discovery not to re-discover systems that have already been discovered - for any systems you wish to ignore, remove the automatically created sensors, then optionally pause indefinitely with description so it doesn't get accidentally removed (and then re-discovered).

Created on Feb 12, 2018 3:00:04 AM

Votes:

+1 for the feature

Created on Apr 4, 2018 1:39:23 PM

Votes:

It's a pity that such a basic feature is not include... +1 to include this feature

Created on Oct 1, 2019 7:49:47 AM

Votes:

Hey Marco,

please open a new Feature Request for this as described in this article.

Once we've received enough up-votes, we'll put it on our Roadmap.

Best regards,
Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Oct 1, 2019 7:53:48 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.