What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I backup my switch configurations via PRTG?

Votes:

Im looking for a way to back up by network device configurations nightly. Can I do this anyway with PRTG?

backup cisco switch

Created on Apr 8, 2013 5:37:29 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thomas is right here. Cacti and Nagios are both using plugins and it's the same way for PRTG.
It should be even easier, since you can use kron on the Cisco appliance to run commands on a schedule. So my approach would be:

1. Install a TFTP server on your PRTG server and configure it accordingly
  2. Setup kron to execute the following command. Make sure it points to your PRTG server:
    copy system:running-config tftp:[[[//location]/directory]/filename]
  3. For every configuration, create a file sensor that triggers upon file content changes
  4. Use the following script to archive your configurations as they get updated as a notification with %sensor as parameter. Make sure that the sensor name matches the configuration file:
param($fileName = "Test.cfg")

#region configuration
[string]$date            = (Get-Date -Format "ddMMyyyy-HH.mm.ss")
[string]$currentFile     = [string]::Format("D:\prtg\router-config-backups\{0}",$fileName);
[string]$backupFileName  = [string]::Format("{0}-{1}",$date,$fileName);
[string]$backupFilePath  = [string]::Format("D:\prtg\router-config-backups\archive\{0}",$backupFileName);
#endregion

Copy-Item $currentFile $backupFilePath

You could also use a hardcoded name within the configuration, the solution above probably better.

Created on Oct 25, 2016 10:23:56 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 18, 2017 8:09:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

23 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid it is not possible to backup switch configs with PRTG. PRTG is intended to be a monitoring system and has no configuration management capabilities. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on Apr 9, 2013 6:16:16 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi. It is very simple to get your switches to write a copy of their config to an FTP server, whenever the configuration is changed - you can do this with a few simple lines in the running config.

You could then use PRTG to monitor the file store and alert you if the contents change - thus alerting you to any configuration changes which occur.

Regards Ian

Created on Apr 9, 2013 7:45:12 PM

Votes:

Hi Ian,

in which way I can do it on my cisco switch? Sorry if I bother you,. but I'd be really interested.

Regards, Alessandro

Created on Apr 19, 2013 8:56:09 AM

Votes:

Any Update about configuration backup?

Created on May 14, 2015 8:53:53 AM

Votes:

As Konstantin mentioned already, PRTGs intended use is monitoring, not configuration management.

The only thing that might come to PRTG is the monitoring of a change within a switch configuration. Sorry!

Created on May 14, 2015 9:08:47 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm also interested in this feature as well. Monitoring device config changes is "monitoring". And device configuration monitoring and backup is already built-in to most if not all of your main competitor's monitoring applications.

This should be built-in to PRTG as a supported sensor. All PRTG has to do is ssh login to a device on a scheduled time, enter a show run command and pull in the config. Or tftp pull the config from the device. It can send alerts when a config changes, and show the changes. Today the application we use requires us to manually setup each device in the application which doesn't scale well.

What I need is something that will allow me to type in a subnet and the program attempt to login to every device it can in that subnet and pull the config on a scheduled basis.

This would truly be a great feature to add to PRTG, us Cisco admins would be very grateful!

Created on Jun 2, 2015 7:23:22 PM

Votes:

i would also be interested in this functionality. we need to monitor for configuration changes (as well as take backups) ability to compare for differences would be very cool as well also batching out changes (e.g. password) to cisco routers would be very cool

Created on Jul 16, 2015 8:45:43 PM

Votes:

Hi Daniel, I'll count your vote to our internal wish list as well.

Best regards

Created on Jul 17, 2015 4:55:45 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This would be an awesome feature

Created on Sep 2, 2015 7:58:53 PM

Votes:

Created on Sep 18, 2015 5:09:28 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much for your feedback. We understand that there are requests for handling device configurations with PRTG, we decided against such features for the time being though, as we purely want PRTG to focus on monitoring (purely reading monitoring information from devices).

Created on Sep 21, 2015 4:40:27 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

One thing to check out would be UVexplorer (www.uvexplorer.com). UVexplorer is a network discovery product that can work along side of PRTG.

You can schedule regular discovery processes for all network components and capture configurations of network devices (switches, routers, etc.). UVexplorer will capture / track all discovery results along with their startup and running configurations. Automatic notifications can be sent based on discovery and/or configurations changes.

UVexplorer can also be utilized to automatically export device and map objects directly to PRTG at the end of each discovery process.

Any discovery result (and configuration capture) can be "diffed" for any changes that have been made.

Hope this helps.

Created on Sep 21, 2015 8:32:46 PM

Votes:

Hi Stovakor

If you really want such a feature, create a custom script using PLINK (putty commandline) to backup your cisco devices with the command "wr net" (or directly use the code to upload the config) to a tftp server (inside the network). Then let the customscript check if some "filecontent" has changed. If the new file is different then the one from 24hours ago, return it to the sensor.

But I totally agree to PRTG. Its a monitoring tool not a backuptool.

google compare -> powershell compare filecontent
google plink -> use plink to backup cisco switch

regards Thomas

Created on Sep 22, 2015 1:24:57 PM

Last change on Sep 23, 2015 5:50:26 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes PRTG is a monitoring tool, and it does a great job. "Network Monitoring" is a broad term and can mean monitoring any aspect of a network including but not limited to anything that can affect it's performance, reliability, or enhance troubleshooting during an impactful event as the result of monitoring something. This surely includes network device configuration change monitoring and notification. If you have tens or even hundreds of devices with multiple departments or groups accessing then it's important to have processes in place to approve network changes before implementing them. But regardless it's not a question of "if" config changes will ever break something, it's "when". And having automatic config change notifications can greatly shorten the time for restoration. Of course one of the first questions you ask when something is broke is, what has recently changed? This is where monitoring network device configuration changes can help.

Network config monitoring built-in to applications are usually basic, including features such as change notification via email including the actual changes (See Cattools, it does an awesome job emailing changes), quickly restore previous config, and current configs stored in a folder to use for compare. More advanced features usually come in separate programs from the same network monitoring companies.

Backup is an inherited feature because to compare you must keep a copy of the current config to compare against the next pulled config.

Network device configuration monitoring is included in the umbrella of "monitoring" as stated in above posts. Some other very popular network monitoring companies (or communities) below also think so, because the function is either native in their application or available as a plug-in, or separate program with more functionality.

WhatsUp Gold TotalView Plus has this feature built-in, and other versions have it available as an add-on

SolarWinds has this feature as a separate program called NCM (not the same as Cattools) that goes way beyond simple configuration change notification and backup.

• Cattools is from SolarWinds and is a cheaper basic program for configuration monitoring.
  • SpiceWorks has this feature built-in and is free.
  • Cacti has an available plug-in for this feature and is free.
  • Nagios has an available plug-in for this feature and is free.

I've used and managed several of the programs above in production environments (Spiceworks, Cacti, and Whatsup Gold), and have tested with Nagios. We have since moved to PRTG and lost this feature, and currently use Cattools by Solarwinds. Cattools isn't very expensive but it would be nice to have this feature in PRTG so we could eliminate another program to manage and maintain.

There are only 3 features I feel that are mandatory in relation to PRTG:

1. Device configuration monitoring with change notification via the normal PRTG methods
  2. Add config change events to "Logs" in PRTG and give a way to filter only config changes
  3. Have current configs stored on the PRTG server that can be used in case of complete device failure

Again #3 is inherit. These 3 basic features would give PRTG yet another edge over it's competition.

Take care all.

Created on Oct 24, 2016 7:16:43 PM

Last change on Oct 24, 2016 8:21:21 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thomas is right here. Cacti and Nagios are both using plugins and it's the same way for PRTG.
It should be even easier, since you can use kron on the Cisco appliance to run commands on a schedule. So my approach would be:

1. Install a TFTP server on your PRTG server and configure it accordingly
  2. Setup kron to execute the following command. Make sure it points to your PRTG server:
    copy system:running-config tftp:[[[//location]/directory]/filename]
  3. For every configuration, create a file sensor that triggers upon file content changes
  4. Use the following script to archive your configurations as they get updated as a notification with %sensor as parameter. Make sure that the sensor name matches the configuration file:
param($fileName = "Test.cfg")

#region configuration
[string]$date            = (Get-Date -Format "ddMMyyyy-HH.mm.ss")
[string]$currentFile     = [string]::Format("D:\prtg\router-config-backups\{0}",$fileName);
[string]$backupFileName  = [string]::Format("{0}-{1}",$date,$fileName);
[string]$backupFilePath  = [string]::Format("D:\prtg\router-config-backups\archive\{0}",$backupFileName);
#endregion

Copy-Item $currentFile $backupFilePath

You could also use a hardcoded name within the configuration, the solution above probably better.

Created on Oct 25, 2016 10:23:56 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 18, 2017 8:09:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's a nice work around, but if it takes setup time for each device then it doesn't scale. 10 devices are one thing but hundreds wouldn't be feasible.

It would be awesome if PRTG had a device configuration monitor sensor that could be part of a device template, using ssh credentials set in an autodiscover group. This way it's touchless. Setup an autodiscovery group for a particular subnet and you're done. All device (i.e. Cisco) configs are pulled and monitored for changes.

Created on Oct 27, 2016 12:52:24 PM

Votes:

Can you confirm that it actually works via kron? Then I could come up with something... ;)

Created on Oct 28, 2016 5:19:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This should be implemented in PRTG. Shame this is not a target/goal, all NMS systems have these, even the opensource ones. Why is this not on the roadmap?!

Created on Jul 6, 2020 9:27:53 AM

Votes:

We understand the need for this, but as mentioned above, PRTG mainly is a monitoring tool and as such monitoring related features have a higher priority.

Created on Jul 6, 2020 11:56:08 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I used PRTG for many years to backup and create a centralized overview of all the customer backups. I used the exe sensor with the variables within PRTG, hostname, ip, username and password stuff. This exe sensor was part of the device host. The exe sensor was scheduled every hour and the script checked the day of the week and hour. If I had more backups scheduled on a probe, PRTG scheduled the backup scripts after each other. In the scripts I had return codes configured, so I could see if the job was started. Also another sensor validated the backup file on the central location with a hash check.

It worked perfect for me and I created a lot of backups with this concept.

Created on Mar 22, 2021 2:17:23 PM

Votes:

As a network engineer in IT for over 20 years, and as I already mentioned above, monitoring device config changes is network monitoring.

PRTG doesn't have to manage the configurations where it can restore them or keep up with different revisions; it can simply let us know if something has changed in the config and what those changes are.

Too bad it's not on the roadmap, but I do understand your development team feeds off of requests and I guess there's not enough demand for this feature. We'll just continue to use other device config monitoring solutions.

Created on Aug 31, 2021 6:50:52 PM

Votes:

You can add my vote to this as well. It's a huge selling point and for most medium/large businesses it's a deal breaker. If we're paying for a monitoring solution we also want to have the capability to back up switch/firewall configurations.

Created on Jan 26, 2022 1:24:05 AM

Votes:

I came here just to add my vote for this. This was the one limiting factor that caused us to look elsewhere for a large deployment. If PRTG can implement this functionality it would be awesome and could pull us over from our current solution. I'm not using my network monitoring tool to push config changes, but it seems key for it to be able to pull and store config backups/monitor config changes without having to do a manual custom FTP/TFTP process on every device.

Created on Mar 1, 2022 7:50:21 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.