New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

I have problems with the PowerShell Exchange sensors, what can I do?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

When trying to add new Exchange sensors to PRTG I get the message

(1) "The Sensor can not connect to the Device using Remote-PowerShell. Ensure that remote management is enabled on the Exchange Server and the username and password is correct. ..."

-or-

(2) "The Sensor was able to connect to the Device using Remote-PowerShell but couldn't retrieve access to Remote Exchange Management Shell. Ensure that remote management is enabled on the Exchange Server and the user has sufficient rights. ..."

-or-

(3) "The MessageQueue can only be retrieved from an ExchangeServer 2010 or higher that has the Role 'HubTransport' or 'EdgeTransport' ..."

What can I do to fix it?

database exchange folder mailbox mailqueue powershell prtg public publicfolder queue

Created on Jun 21, 2013 2:50:15 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 25, 2013 3:54:23 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13.2.5.2337/2338 or later

Resolving Exchange PowerShell Sensors Issues

Please see below for solution strategies regarding the error messages given above.

(1) "Sensor Cannot Connect to the Device"

• Make sure that you have installed Powershell 2.0 / .Net 4.0 on your probe-machine.
  • Do not use an IP address in the device settings of the Exchange server. Instead, use the fully qualified domain name (FQDN). Note: Some sensors will work with the NetBIOS name of the target device, but the Mail Queue sensor definitely needs FQDN.
  • Please see the Microsoft Knowledgebase for additional prerequisites on target side.

(2) "Could Not Retrieve Access to Remote Exchange Management Shell"

• The user of the sensor needs elevated rights on the Exchange system. It is not sufficient to have administrator rights! The easiest way to achieve this is to add the user to the 'View Only Organisation Management' group. For details, please refer to Microsoft Knowledgebase.

(3) "Exchange Server 2010 or Higher with Role 'HubTransport' or 'EdgeTransport' ..."

• Make sure your server has the mentioned role.
  • Please see solution (1) regarding FQDN.

See Also

Created on Jun 21, 2013 3:02:01 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 19, 2017 4:22:58 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

When adding Exchange Powershell Sensors, I get the following error message:

The Sensor was able to connect to the Device using Remote-PowerShell but couldn't retrieve access to Remote Exchange Management Shell. Ensure that remote management is enabled on the Exchange Server and the user has sufficient rights. See http://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/54353 for details. Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert value "\FQDN" to type "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.DatabaseCopyIdParameter". Error: "'\FWDN' is not a valid value for the identity. Parameter name: Identity"

I can connect to ExchDB like at https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/60793-unknown-error-exchange-database-powershell. My user is member of "view-only organization Management" Group.

Rather strange is the backslash in front of the FQDN, but other sensors without powershell are working and uses the defined correct FQDN.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Created on Apr 19, 2017 2:17:00 PM by  FlorianHuber (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Did you enter domain, username and password within the windows credential section of the device?

Created on Apr 20, 2017 12:04:55 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Our message is:

The Sensor was able to connect to the Device using Remote-PowerShell but couldn't retrieve access to Remote Exchange Management Shell. Ensure that remote management is enabled on the Exchange Server and the user has sufficient rights. See http://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/54353 for details. The term 'Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

What is going on?

Created on Jun 22, 2017 10:24:16 AM by  tgosselink (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

Did you actually check if Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus works on the Exchange host?
Is the device address the FQDN of your exchange server?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 22, 2017 12:00:29 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.