What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG server internet access - Client certs?

Votes:

I'd like to have our PRTG server facing the internet so that the on call engineer(s) can have a quick look at alerts that may pop up. Is there a way that we can use client certs in order to lock down access to the server(just as you would for OWA)?

prtg-server-administrator prtg-server-exe ssl

Created on Jun 30, 2013 10:50:22 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you. We ended up following your guide for a reverse proxy(which is working well). This also works with client certificates too. The only catch is that the app can't forward those certs. I'm assuming that isn't available at the moment?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 1:01:30 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this is not possible at the moment with the PRTG web server, sorry.

Created on Jul 1, 2013 9:03:47 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you. We ended up following your guide for a reverse proxy(which is working well). This also works with client certificates too. The only catch is that the app can't forward those certs. I'm assuming that isn't available at the moment?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 1:01:30 AM

Votes:

hello,

by app you mean PRTG itself or the iOS or Android app?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 1:17:58 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I have exactly the same request. Is this mentioned on the wish list or anything? The topic was opened two years ago. Are there any news regarding this feature?

Created on Oct 26, 2015 2:49:28 PM

Votes:

I never heard anything back. As far as I can tell, the enterprise client doesn't support client certs

Created on Oct 27, 2015 8:39:16 AM

Votes:

I'd like to have an official statement from PRTG itself if possible. Two, almost three years, have passed. Maybe they intend to integrate this feature.

Created on Oct 27, 2015 12:18:03 PM

Votes:

Currently there are no plans to support client certificates for the PRTG web server or our mobile apps.

Created on Oct 30, 2015 8:09:42 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Oct 30, 2015 8:10:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

And what about establishing the SSL connection with using client certificates? not the authentication itself, but the process of establishing a secure connection.

is this generally possible with your web server? independent from the app, just the web server itself

Created on Nov 25, 2015 11:28:36 AM

Votes:

Sorry, client certificates are currently not supported in general.

Created on Nov 27, 2015 12:58:37 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi everyone,

This feature request has been converted into an official feature request:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81483-allow-certificate-based-authentication-throughout-clients

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle feature requests in future. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 19, 2018 12:44:20 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.