New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

150.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I use the PRTG Application Programming Interface (API)?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I want to write my own scripts or programs using PRTG's RESTful API, custom sensors, custom notifications and website styling.

• What are the functionalities provided?
  • Where can I get a full description of the API?
  • What can I do with it and how can I use the API?

api css custom-notification custom-script-exe custom-sensor important mini-probe prtg script web-interface

Created on Feb 5, 2010 2:47:46 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 23, 2015 3:57:39 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

11 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13 or later

Introduction to the PRTG API Interface

Users can customize and extend the functionality of PRTG Network Monitor using the following options:

• HTTP API: Access monitoring data and manipulate monitoring objects using HTTP requests
  • Custom Sensors: Create your own sensors for customized monitoring
  • Custom Notifications: Create your own notifications to send alarms to external systems
  • Mini Probe API: Create your own small probes to get monitoring data from any platform
  • Website Styling: Customize the look and feel by adding your own CSS statements

An Important Note About Technical Support Regarding API Features

Working with PRTG's API can quickly become a technical challenge and it is no everyday task. In most cases the knowledge of an experienced software developer or web developer is required to work with the API. All API features described on this page as well as their usage are not covered by Paessler's usual next-business-day support. So please understand that it may take a few days to receive an answer to inquiries about API features from Paessler Support. In general we cannot provide support for web design issues involving your own CSS and HTML nor for implementing or adjusting mini probes.

HTTP API

This section will give you a brief overview over the functionalities of the API interface. For detailed instructions see the API documentation (section "Detailed HTTP API Documentation" below).

The PRTG HTTP API offers the following functionality:

• Authentication, error handling and optional encryption
  • Functions for getting live object and status data as well as live graphs
  • Functions for getting historic sensor data and graphs
  • Functions for manipulating objects (e.g. edit, add, delete)

You can use it via simple HTTP GET requests (either HTTP or HTTPS). Sample Call:

http://yourserver/api/table.xml?content=sensortree

Detailed HTTP API Documentation

Please find a detailed documentation of all HTTP API functions in your PRTG Network Monitor installation. Log in to the web interface and then select Setup | PRTG API from the main menu. There, you will also find an interactive query builder.

Note: Only the documentation that comes with your PRTG installation fits exactly the PRTG version you are running.

Custom Sensors

Custom sensors allow a number of monitoring tasks that go far beyond the standard sensor set to be performed. Apart from parameterized versions of SNMP, packet sniffer and NetFlow sensors you can create your own sensors using WQL (WMI Query Language) and by compiling an EXE file, using any Windows software development tool.

More details about custom sensors:

Note: With PRTG custom sensors, you can use placeholders.

Custom Notifications

Custom notifications allow you to run any script or program as a notification. Connected with a trigger connected with a sensor's settings, you can initiate a desired action—even far beyond a notification itself. This is a powerful tool to react to specific situations in your network.

Among the possibilities are the following scenarios:

Note: With PRTG notifications, you can use placeholders.

Mini Probe API

The PRTG Mini Probe interface allows you to create small probes on any device and on any operating system. They help gathering monitoring data from platforms where it is not possible or not suitable to use PRTG's common local and remote probes. Basically, this takes the Custom Sensors concept to a higher level: You have a very broad range of possibilities and can implement amazing functions.

See the following article for a collection of Mini Probe implementations:

Website Styling

As a PRTG user you can use your own logos and/or corporate colors on the PRTG web interface by adding your own HTML and CSS code.

See this article for possible customizations:

Want to Share Your Script/Program?

Write your own Knowledge Base article providing your script! See this article for more information: How can i share my self-written script/program with other PRTG users?

Created on Feb 5, 2010 3:01:46 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 22, 2017 12:05:39 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

The link to the demo version that should give you the API documentation ins't working. It gives an error: 13.2.4.2234 Sorry, your user account is not allowed to access this information.

Created on Jun 25, 2013 9:10:39 AM by  Markus Bettsteller (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Following the link to the Demo server, I get this message:

13.2.4.2234 Sorry, your user account is not allowed to access this information.

Created on Jun 26, 2013 1:12:23 PM by  Chris Booth (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

this should be working again soon!

Created on Jun 26, 2013 2:32:29 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

hello,

i search the api doku for the map-designer. For example i want to know something about "filter_tags" or "filter_status" in the htm files

thx

Created on Feb 5, 2014 7:26:51 AM by  Stephan (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

These are not documented portions of the API but are used internally in PRTG. If you want to use them you can but you will need to figure out what they mean specifically.

Created on Feb 5, 2014 2:25:36 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

is it possible to get these documantation?

Created on Feb 6, 2014 12:51:32 PM by  Stephan (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

If you look through the API documentation you will see a tab called Live Data where you will see the filtering capabilities documented under Sorting and Advanced Filtering.

Created on Feb 7, 2014 1:54:27 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I notice that when pulling data for a specific sensor, the values are outdated and does not currently reflect the most recent data. Is this expected?

Created on Apr 27, 2015 10:40:52 PM by  onefstprld (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi,

Could you please forward the used query and some screenshots to support@paessler.com to illustrate the issue? Please refer to this knowledge base article.

Best regards

Created on Apr 29, 2015 12:46:09 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I'm a JS developer with NodeJS/Meteor and have experience with the PRGT API (json/rest) if anyone needs assistance or paid work done.

Specifically experience with extracting historical and realtime data to integrate directly with another web application.

I would also love to chat with any other prtg api devs to discuss ideas and experience. Thanks!

Created on Oct 25, 2015 4:27:53 PM by  tpsrichardson (0)

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.