What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What does error code PE1114 mean?

Votes:

When using the PRTG web server, a popup appears that displays Lost connection to PRTG server! and I cannot continue. This error has the code PE1114:

URL: /api/public/testlogin.htm failed twice (PE1114, error.)

What does this mean?

connection core-server disconnected error error-code error-messages pe1114 prtg web-interface

Created on Oct 25, 2013 1:55:26 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 17, 2023 11:03:40 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Connection issues: Error code PE1114

The error code PE1114 indicates a connection timeout error. PE1114 appears when you are connected to the PRTG web interface but it can no longer reach the PRTG core server. This can be the case, for example, if the PRTG core server start is currently pending.

Usually, the PRTG web interface will work again after a short time when the restart is finished. Wait a moment and click Try Again.

Error PE1114
Click to enlarge.

Manually start the PRTG core server

However, if the PRTG core server is currently stopped, for example, after a system restart and will not come back automatically, manually start the PRTG core server. See the PRTG Manual: PRTG Administration Tool:

• Open the tab Service Start/Stop.
  • If you see the message Service status: Stopped, restart the PRTG core server.
  • Click Start Service.
  • Wait until Service status: Running appears.
  • Go back to the PRTG web interface and click Try Again in the window.

Created on Oct 25, 2013 2:03:09 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 19, 2023 1:27:23 PM by  Fruzsina Ébelle [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I had the same error in this moment. But the log of the PRTG server only show the following irregular events:

07.10.2015 12:32:33 Probe Device Probe Health PROBE-Health Warning 165 Items (Open Requests) is above the warning limit of 100 Items

07.10.2015 12:40:31 PROBE-Health Unknown No data since 07.10.2015 12:35:21

07.10.2015 12:41:31 PROBE-Health Down 113 % Delay (Interval Delay WMI) is above the error limit of 100 % Delay. WMI Sensors of this probe can not be scanned in their specified intervals. Try longer intervals or distribute load over probes.

I'm not sure what mean the first entry of log (about Open Requests) because we didn't have any user manipulating the server in that moment.

Created on Oct 7, 2015 6:05:00 PM

Votes:

Open Requests is not HTTP requests or similar to a server. It is a metric for PRTG itself, about how many sensor requests (to the target devices that you monitor with PRTG) are still open (so the devices have not responded). If you see warnings and errors often about Open Requests, it is a sign that the scanning intervals are too short for your target devices. Please then consider using longer intervals.

Created on Oct 9, 2015 11:20:34 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know this is an old thread but this might be useful for anyone who encounters the same error.

I wasn't able to load Devices, instead, I would see a grey spinning wheel. Sometimes I'd eventually see the PE1114 error. Loading the pages in Chromes Incognito mode was successful which made me suspect an extension issue. Looking at the "Sources" tab in Chromes Developer Tools I could see one of my extensions attempting to interact with the page. Disabling the extension fixed the issue.

Created on Jun 10, 2021 3:39:24 AM

Votes:

Hi everyone,

I've encountered the error message PE1114 quite often and while I fully agree on the response above, I often see a correlation with PRTG Core Servers having issues reaching the servers that PRTG requires for its Geo Maps.

Please make sure that your PRTG Core Server is able to reach the Servers that PRTG connects to for Geo Maps.
If you don't see a benefit in using Geo Maps in your installation, you can also fully disable the Geo Maps integration which usually improves the situation as well. For this open up the web interface and navigate to "Setup | System Administration | User Interface" and select the "Disable Geo Maps integration" for the Geo Maps settings.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 9, 2022 4:53:12 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

@Sebastian - thanks for this, error PE1114 brought me here today but I've had a very slow PRTG installation for months, disabling Geo has fixed everything (my firewall will have been blocking this and I have no use for it.)

Created on Apr 2, 2023 6:27:02 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.