What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto-Discovery change the Device Name

Votes:

Hello

Normally I add a device with device name and a DNS Name do the PRTG System. After auto-discovery with a template the device name will be renamed to DNS Name(Device Name). Following sensors will be added with the template to the device: SNMP CPU Load SNMP Disk Free SNMP HP Proliant System Health SNMP Memory SNMP System Uptime

As example: Device Name: SERVER1 DNS Name: Server1.local.net

After auto-discovery: Device Name: SERVER1.local.net(SERVER1)

Is it possible to change this behavior? Thank you

auto-discovery device-name snmp

Created on Feb 12, 2014 8:46:14 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There isn't a way to change this behavior with PRTG but you could program a script to use the API to change the names of the objects. You can see the call to the API under Setup->PRTG API->Object Manipulation.

Created on Mar 17, 2014 9:12:01 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

There is currently no way to disable this from happening, PRTG will automatically change the name to the name that is in DNS with the original name in brackets (). If you change the name afterwards and run another Auto-Discovery it will not be changed but on the first Auto-Discovery it does this automatically.

Created on Feb 12, 2014 1:41:06 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That is VERY disappointing. I've been manually entering hundreds of devices on public IPs and it is pulling the reverse dns record (which is like 208-122.122.122.t3com.net) and adding it to the name. This makes it VERY hard to know what email notifications are about by the subject because it's so long. There has to be a way around this... or a script to change the names back?

Created on Mar 14, 2014 4:17:01 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There isn't a way to change this behavior with PRTG but you could program a script to use the API to change the names of the objects. You can see the call to the API under Setup->PRTG API->Object Manipulation.

Created on Mar 17, 2014 9:12:01 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same problem. That is really disappointing. Hopefully that will be changed in a future version!

Created on Feb 6, 2017 10:13:59 AM

Votes:

Same here, I would like to keep the names of the devices as i set them. will there be a possibility in the future to keep them pre-configured?

Thanks.

Created on Nov 23, 2017 5:02:41 PM

Votes:

You can only avoid that by moving the device out of the auto discovery group and configure the auto discovery directly on the device (rather than it being dependant on the group discovery settings).

As of right now, it's not planned to change this behaviour. Sorry!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 24, 2017 11:23:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 24, 2017 11:24:08 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is typical response from Paessler and it's terrible - that's the way it is and we don't care. Why even bother having us give the device a name if you're going to rename it?

Created on Jul 13, 2018 8:30:03 PM

Votes:

Hi Kyle,

I understand that you're dissatisfied with the way we handle stuff like this. The thing is that Auto Discovery groups always rename the hosts according to the lookup DNS name it can retrieve. In order to avoid it and keep the names you give them, move them out of the auto discovery group and configure the auto discovery on a per devices basis.

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 16, 2018 7:02:54 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

I have tried to follow your advice however creating them with no autodiscover and then running it after it has created still renames the device. Having just rolled out 850 printers with a carefully crafted api query only to have my names like "STH-Printer1" replaced with "CND453452-Local.ASNet134.STBN.printers" is somewhat saddening i gotta say and the idea of regexing them back to rights is enough to make a man resign :)

Created on Dec 13, 2018 12:31:55 PM

Votes:

Hey Sam,

For that amount of printers, it's probably easier to use PRTGapi to create the device according to a CSV and have it named accordingly. You could also pass the corresponding device template to trigger a automatic sensor discovery to them afterwards :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 14, 2018 8:56:10 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.