What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using PRTG for automated inventory tracking

Votes:

Hello, My company is an outsourced IT provider for small to medium businesses - approximately 1000 customers. I have PRTG running in a lot of my customer sites. We currently use Spiceworks to pull inventory data into our proprietary customer database (SQL backend). Well, Spiceworks is a terrible program that does not work consistently. I have been tasked with investigating alternatives for this. I need a program specifically to tell my team the follow: What is installed for software on servers and PCs. What is the serial number (service tag) of the pcs and servers. Warranty status. OS version, and any license keys associated with programs installed.

I was going to look at LanSweeper, but I thought I would ping you to see if this is currently available and if not, do you know when it would be?

I would like to use PRTG as I already have it installed on my client sites.

Thank you. Mike

automated inventory status warranty

Created on Apr 30, 2014 5:55:16 PM

9 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Michael,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid PRTG does not have such inventory capabilities in the moment. I did just count your vote, we do have this on our wishlist though. Albeit I cannot go into details when this might be implemented. Sorry.

best regards.

Created on May 6, 2014 9:15:05 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please add our vote for this as well. We are an MSP and have PRTG installed at multiple customer sites. Having PRTG collect a list of install programs and the version numbers of each would be extremely helpful.

Created on May 28, 2014 5:23:42 PM

Votes:

We would also appreciate the implementation of this feature. PRTG is collecting monitoring data from all our servers / devices and it would be a perfect add-on if it would also collect inventory data. We don't want to maintain another system for this.

Created on Oct 13, 2014 8:17:39 AM

Votes:

Would be great to have integrated in PRTG a proper asset management database for IT equipment (that can be used also decoupled from the monitoring part ie. a database where one can put asset and rapidly query on it). It would indeed make sense and will greatly complement the PRTG solution. thanks

Created on Aug 3, 2018 3:39:48 PM

Votes:

As alternative there is a great solution out there that would do this already. PDQ Inventory is great to collect this information.

Even the free version is able to do this to some extend - though automated reporting and Active Directory sync. is I think only available in the pro-version.

On top - it sounds like you want to constantly scan and then update your database. If it is just software and new clients in AD you might be able to simply do this with a .vbs script that would connect to AD, gather the computer-accounts, try to connect to them and then read per WMI what is installed on the target system.

Of course, Spiceworks is way more power full - since it can see network devices like switches etc.

Personally I wrote whole asset management systems that did do a lot - one of them I started to share for free / open source - but it often depends on your specific needs and what you try to accomplish. Asset management can be quiet tricky and often depends on various APIs where it pulls data from or write it back to - like ERP systems etc.

Having said all of this, I am curious if Paessler is doing this one day and how such a solution might look like. Would be an independent tool in the - cause PRTG is a monitoring system - an Asset Management would be independent and only be fed by PRTG or PRTG be fed by the Asset Management as well (to some extend).

Just my thoughts on this...

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Aug 6, 2018 2:15:36 PM

Votes:

Totally agree with this. PRTG is quite intuitive and easy to set up and use. Plus the trending stats actually help us proactively resolve faults.

Inventory management would be a powerful addition to it, it's important for companies like mine where we provide and maintain SLAs. Even if it is limited to a network equipment inventory that would be awesome.

Created on Sep 25, 2018 5:14:34 AM

Votes:

Hi everyone,

This feature request has been converted into an official feature request:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81585-integrated-inventory-management

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle feature requests in future. Thanks!

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 25, 2018 3:09:52 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this been done yet? or a way to do it?

Created on May 27, 2020 6:06:38 AM

Votes:

Unfortunately, this has not been implemented, nor are there any known workarounds for it.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on May 27, 2020 12:36:36 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.